Sign in to follow this  
the_Monkey

Thank You Englishmen

I know we've had our differences about taxes and tea and Monarchies and Democracies (Monarchies in disguise)... and god knows you've given Americans so much... like Benny Hill and Little Britain and Monty Python and David Attenborough and Derren Brown and Alan Turing and Charlie Chaplin. But still... you probably get nothing but a war mongering vibe from the US (which is fair). I just thought I should extend and extra warm thank you from your yankee friends for the word... "Cheers". We got that from you guys. Many of my friends use it. We don't have a word like that. I have only just recently realized how much I have stolen your precious greeting in my average everyday urban lifestyle. It's almost as I've needed to adopt it because there's is no proper translation of if it in American English, I used to feel like a fraud when I said it... but now... I don't.

It's so positive... and friendly. :)

Thanks...

Cheers,

the_Monkey

Edited by the_Monkey

I know we've had our differences about taxes and tea and Monarchies and Democracies (Monarchies in disguise)... and god knows you've given American's so much... like Benny Hill and Little Britain and Monty Python and David Attenborough and Derren Brown and Alan Turing and Charlie Chaplin. But still... you probably get nothing but a war mongering vibe from the US (which is fair). I just thought I should extend and extra warm thank you from your yankee friends for the word... "Cheers". We got that from you guys. Many of my friends use it. We don't have a word like that. I have only just recently realized how much I have stolen your precious greeting in my average everyday urban lifestyle. It's almost as I've needed to adopt it because there's is no proper translation of if it in American English, I used to feel like a fraud when I said... but now... I don't.

It's so positive... and friendly. :)

Thanks...

Cheers,

the_Monkey

will this trend be continued to include such words as bloke, bobby, cack, crikey, dicky, or bollocks?

While we're on this English / American thing....

The name MOGRAPH when said in English (sans US accent) sounds way too posh, mo grarf. Doesn't really work does it?

How do other Britishers pronounce it? I think I sound really northern if I say mo graff...

While we're on this English / American thing....

The name MOGRAPH when said in English (sans US accent) sounds way too posh, mo grarf. Doesn't really work does it?

How do other Britishers pronounce it? I think I sound really northern if I say mo graff...

maybe you should just say it with an american accent?

He is arrogant, offensive, and spends all his time whining about things that bother him, despite the fact he is a member of a fairly privileged elite, and actually has very little to complain about.

He doesn't even have the excuse that he is either stupid, ignorant, or uneducated.

But I guess whether he is funny is largely subjective.

I see where you're coming from. I guess I feel that way about a lot of the TV personalities here in the states so I'm a little numb to it.

Interesting the philosophical turn this thread took...

cheers!