Sign in to follow this  
supaidaaman

new GAP logo lol

This was so bad that I actually considered that they may have done this as a PR move to re-brand their existing logo as "more classic" without having any intention of changing a damn thing. Or maybe I just watch too much Mad Men.

-m

I've seen this happen first-hand.

A client with no design sense thinks Expensive = Good. The designers know the client is a fool so they charge megabucks for some crap they throw together with minimal effort.

I can't make up my mind which of the two parties I despise the most.

Guest Sao_Bento

They weren't just selling it - they were selling them something that they had "crowdsourced". I used to think it was bad when a small company went to an agency and the agency just handed the work to the intern because the pay was too low. To think that they went even farther and crowdsourced it to bunch of morons is even worse. I guess that's the end of their reputation as arbiters of good design.

Guest Sao_Bento

It's such a weird business - I bet if they had posted the original logo somewhere where people weren't familiar with it, it would have gotten trashed as well. Kind of like the Flickr folks who were tricked into giving feedback (overwhelming negative) on Cartier-Bresson photos without realizing it.

It's such a weird business - I bet if they had posted the original logo somewhere where people weren't familiar with it, it would have gotten trashed as well. Kind of like the Flickr folks who were tricked into giving feedback (overwhelming negative) on Cartier-Bresson photos without realizing it.

True...but really, that aborted new logo really did scream Microsoft Publisher didn't it? Not that I'm an authority on anything related to design, but...

Cf

I think the marketing department at Gap should be blamed here.

Obviously they allowed such an atrocity to tarnish their name -- not that it was in perfect shape before. But it wasn't THIS bad.

For such a large company, it boggles my mind of what idiots in the higher up can allow to pass.

But oh well, Gap goes in the "I don't give a shit" bucket I keep around. In there you can find the pepsi logo (all variations), etc.

Guest Sao_Bento

It's just the product of two groups of people, none of whom could tell good from bad. Looks worst for the agency because they were caught totally off guard by the fact that it sucked.

I wish I could start an agency where I just babysit one client without really doing anything new for 25 years.

I think the marketing department at Gap should be blamed here.

Obviously they allowed such an atrocity to tarnish their name -- not that it was in perfect shape before. But it wasn't THIS bad.

For such a large company, it boggles my mind of what idiots in the higher up can allow to pass.

But oh well, Gap goes in the "I don't give a shit" bucket I keep around. In there you can find the pepsi logo (all variations), etc.