Sign in to follow this  
Yordi Uytersprot

SHOWREEL 2010

Hi there!

I'm Yordi, nice to meet you.

This is kinda new to me but I'll give it a shot.

Recently I launched my showreel 2010

to attract some major internships abroad.

Would love to explore some place in the

world during these 3 months.

The showcase contains selected works

from the past few years. There's lots

more but this will give you some idea

of what I'm doing with Flash & interactive

experiences.

» http://vimeo.com/15896531

Enjoy!

Any feedback is appreciated. Would love to

hear from you!

Kind regards,

Yordi Uytersprot — www.cencrea.be

I'll give it a go.

First off, it seems like your stuff is geared way more toward interface design. The stuff all looks really slick. Great colors, composition, texture. I really like the look of everything. It's just that its all screen caps of websites (I assume) in action. You had one piece at the end that stuck out as motion graphics, the guy with the coffee cup and news paper, and that looked good as well. However, one piece does not a reel make. Also, you definitely need to lose the long bit of footage of the water in the middle. The color grade is nice but it doesn't communicate anything, and the occasional water splash overlay is sort of pointless.

As a designer I think you've got great chops (way better than me) but this might be the wrong place to post a reel comprised mostly of interface design.

If i need a site coded though, your definitely going to get an email from me.

I think there's some great work related to interactive design and the addition of animation to an interactive experience. The design and art direction is looking very nice and I'd love to play with some of those user experiences.

as ianfreeze mentioned this may not be the ideal place for the kinds of critiques you'd need on the interface stuff, however there are some general reel related comments to be made. I think you can cut the reel down a bit in general. maybe getting it down to a solid :45.

It's often difficult to keep the pacing feeling right when showcasing interactive projects in a reel format, but I think that cutting the length of certain shots and picking exciting, stimulating, and dynamic moments from the different interfaces could help with this.

I really like the intro you have but it could definitely be cut down. I think that the :10 length is contributing to the generally lengthy feeling of the reel.

Great looking work all around. Where can I check out some of those interfaces?

Edit: I really like the temporary splash page for your site. Good job.

Edited by SaintEfan

Hi Ianfreeze!

Thank you so much for the comments.

I understand you completely. It's indeed a showreel stuffed with interface designs.

Though, there's some motion graphics put into it. The main idea was to show the different

areas I'm experimenting on. And Flash happens to be the biggest love of those areas.

Do you suggest that I'd put more action into the screen caps? Such as some subtle

camera movements?

+ the footage of the water were some shots I shot in Norway. it should give

the user a break from all the action & screen captures :—D Did it work?

It should be giving you a relaxing time, along with the music.

If you'd like to contact me for some challenging work,

feel free to get in touch with me / info@cencrea.be

My next work I'll be posting here, will be entirely Motion Graphics related.

I'm sorry if I brought chaos to this forum with my topic.

I'll make it up to you guys!

See you soon,

Yordi

I'll give it a go.

First off, it seems like your stuff is geared way more toward interface design. The stuff all looks really slick. Great colors, composition, texture. I really like the look of everything. It's just that its all screen caps of websites (I assume) in action. You had one piece at the end that stuck out as motion graphics, the guy with the coffee cup and news paper, and that looked good as well. However, one piece does not a reel make. Also, you definitely need to lose the long bit of footage of the water in the middle. The color grade is nice but it doesn't communicate anything, and the occasional water splash overlay is sort of pointless.

As a designer I think you've got great chops (way better than me) but this might be the wrong place to post a reel comprised mostly of interface design.

If i need a site coded though, your definitely going to get an email from me.

Thanks for the input, SaintEfan.

Really helpful!

Most of the peeps I've been speaking to, told me indeed that it was too "slow", too "long".

Some others said that it fits the work & personality, that it's kinda slow. Personally, I think

it's a bit too slow. Cutting the intro would be a nice idea! Will consider it next time I'm making

a motion graphic. I guess it's mainly this: I've been digging the music in Premiere to look

for all the accents & beats, to make sure that it would jump from one screen to another

on a specific beat / vibe. So if the intro took too long, I guess I was aiming for a beat, so it

would really catch the attention when it jumped to the first screen.

Do you guys suggest I need to skip placing the transitions on a specific beat?

And just let the screens follow one eachother..

Cutting interactive projects down to a small bit, I'm afraid the user would not see

where the interactivity lays in the projects. I had a real doubt about this for a

long time. Glad you say it's too long. I'll keep that in mind for the future!

Let me know,

I'm curious!

(thanks for the kind words on my temporary page. you should check it out in

the morning 'round 9am & in the evening 'round 10pm, it switches themes, haha)

Kind regards,

Yordi

I think there's some great work related to interactive design and the addition of animation to an interactive experience. The design and art direction is looking very nice and I'd love to play with some of those user experiences.

as ianfreeze mentioned this may not be the ideal place for the kinds of critiques you'd need on the interface stuff, however there are some general reel related comments to be made. I think you can cut the reel down a bit in general. maybe getting it down to a solid :45.

It's often difficult to keep the pacing feeling right when showcasing interactive projects in a reel format, but I think that cutting the length of certain shots and picking exciting, stimulating, and dynamic moments from the different interfaces could help with this.

I really like the intro you have but it could definitely be cut down. I think that the :10 length is contributing to the generally lengthy feeling of the reel.

Great looking work all around. Where can I check out some of those interfaces?

Edit: I really like the temporary splash page for your site. Good job.

I think it would be worth trying to not be too beholden to the music's beats. Every transition doesn't need to be on a beat. Maybe a few are but generally it could be more about flowing smoothly to complement the music rather than trying to totally match the music. It's hard to say whether that will be the ideal solution but it couldn't hurt to try.

As for cutting down the user experience stuff; I think that you would have to use your best judgement and just see where you can cut while still getting the idea across. Some will clearly lend themselves better to quick cuts than others.

No worries. I'm not sure adding some camera movement would really help, because it doesn't address the heart of the problem: while your work is good, its not motion design. If you sent this to a studio or someone looking to hire a freelancer I'm not sure that they'd know what to make of it. Yes, you can design, but can you do it for broadcast/dvd/live event/whatever?

If you're trying to find work as a web designer, then this is great! I'm not sure that web designers present their work in a reel format, but points for thinking outside the box.

The footage of the water didn't really make me relax. It just sort of sat there and made me wonder what I was supposed to take away from it. I wasn't watching your reel in a passive manner, like I would a tv show or something, I was watching in an active manner looking at each piece from a technical and aesthetic standpoint trying to judge how "good"* I felt they were. I wasn't looking for a break, though I appreciate you thinking of me in your edit.

*I used quotations because I think good is a subjective term and didn't want to sound like my opinion was the be all end all. I realize now that it might also make me look like a dick.

Hi Ianfreeze!

Thank you so much for the comments.

I understand you completely. It's indeed a showreel stuffed with interface designs.

Though, there's some motion graphics put into it. The main idea was to show the different

areas I'm experimenting on. And Flash happens to be the biggest love of those areas.

Do you suggest that I'd put more action into the screen caps? Such as some subtle

camera movements?

+ the footage of the water were some shots I shot in Norway. it should give

the user a break from all the action & screen captures :—D Did it work?

It should be giving you a relaxing time, along with the music.

If you'd like to contact me for some challenging work,

feel free to get in touch with me / info@cencrea.be

My next work I'll be posting here, will be entirely Motion Graphics related.

I'm sorry if I brought chaos to this forum with my topic.

I'll make it up to you guys!

See you soon,

Yordi