Sign in to follow this  
psymotion

[AE question] letterboxing in output module?

Hello fellow mographers! I have tons of 1920x1080 comps that need to be output in letterboxed 720x486 quicktimes. I know I can create regular SD comps and place the HD comps inside them. But I have way too many HD comps and don't want to make SD comps for each. I have to manually resize all the nested comps, too! Is there any way I can do this in the output module? Being a lazy AE guy, I'm in desperate need of a preset that takes a 16x9 comp and places it nicely inside a letterboxed 4x3 comp without changing the aspect ratio of the original comp. Thanks for your help!

Yeah, actually. Make an output module that resizes the video to 720X400 and then in the crop settings, change the top and bottom crops to -43. This will add in the black bars.

You might have to fudge with those numbers to get the right size going on but when you apply the output module to the comp, it should resize down to the SD size and then add in the top and bottom for letterboxing.

You shouldn't need to worry about the nested comps because AE will just resize the main comps.