Sign in to follow this  
mjL

Things to negotiate for...

Don't worry it's not another salary thread... I'm just after some advice from designers in the US on my current situation...

The company that I currently work for in London are expanding by opening an office in New York and I've been offered to head out there to build a team like we've got here in the UK. This is an amazing opportunity that I'd be silly to turn down, but I'm just confused as to what I need negotiate for as part of my contract i.e medical insurance.

I've been told that I will need to sort out my own medical insurance until the the office is fully operating on it's own. This could be anywhere between 6 months to a year.

I'm really after some advice on how much extra to ask for on top of my salary. How much am I going to need to pay for health cover and anything else I might need?

Cheers

Mark

Edited by mjL

Ah, build me into your team! =)

Im a c4d guy and will be in NY soon =)))

Sorry can't help you with insurance, got to find that out myself.

I tried looking for it on the net a while bacl, but everything i found required me to give them a phone number they could call and discuss it. Didn't even find any approximations. I'm thinking im gona go get an amex card and buy the tickets with it, and that way i get travel insurance which covers medical as well.

Edited by vozzz

- pre-existing vacations are worth their weight in gold

- i havent done this, but if your spouse is already hooking up the insurance like is my case nowadays, maybe there's a way to fold in some of that cost to bump up your salary if they had been expecting to offer a decent benefit.

- starting time is the best time to get new gear and software tools

good luck!

ehealthinsurance.com has worked for us before. It all depends on how big your family is and if anyone has any pre-existing medical conditions, but that site has some good starting points and companies to contact.

thanks for the help guys. Think i've got a rough idea of what my premium might be - which shouldn't be too bad as i'm healthy and have only myself to cover. So providing my bosses and myself can agree on contract terms i'll be in NY in the next few months :-)

this is a huge endeavor. Health insurance asside, I'd be looking for all relocation expenses paid. Including travel, moving, & getting into an apartment. I'd also be looking for a big...possibly 30-40% increase in pay. On top of that I'd also get them to pay your day to day transportation costs which for you would be a monthly metrocard-

aspekt i've got pretty much all of that covered except for the metrocard - i will be trying to get at least one flight home a year covered to visit family. Although I imagine I may be back for work at times anyway. Not kidding about it being a huge endeavor though...

aspekt i've got pretty much all of that covered except for the metrocard - i will be trying to get at least one flight home a year covered to visit family. Although I imagine I may be back for work at times anyway. Not kidding about it being a huge endeavor though...

Def, get the metro card included. I think they just jacked up the cost by 25%. It adds up- Good luck!

Edited by aspekt