Sign in to follow this  
microdot

Gamechanger?

Very nice! I've already been meaning to learn nuke, and this is even more incentive to do so.

Same, i just started the fx phd lessons the other day, dont know about it being a game changer though....

Gamechanger?

Don't think so. Nuke still is a VFX tool. Particular surely adds a welcome feature for this crowd, too, but I don't see a mass swing of motion graphics artists toward Nuke just because of it. Too many other conveniences missing that we have become so accustomed in AE. The availability on both platforms might help a better group workflow on larger projects by retaining a consistent look or finally allowing you to bridge the gap between 3D animation and true 3D compositing a bit better, though.

Mylenium

yeah, i def don't see a mass exodus, but it's nice to see one of the most important (imho) tools in AE available in nuke.

I think there can be a strong convergence using nuke for mograph, and not just vfx, esp since the two are beginning to merge much more.

Maybe it's time to ditch the old monikers that tie us down anyway, is MoFex taken yet?

Time to buy the domain.

Nuke's continued development and roadmap do not and should not necessarily cater to the mograph crowd. Nuke and NukeX don't have competitive pricing geard towards the mograph crowd. In fact, they continue to dial in an upscale price for a particular industry. Can it be used for mograph? sure, but why would you want to? Even with the upcoming dope-sheet, Nuke isn't the best choice for the massive amounts of keyframing that you find in mograph work. That, and the price (vs. AE) makes it prohibitively expensive if it's core strengths are not even being utilized. Likewise, you could do a major compositing/vfx shot in AE if you wanted, but Nuke's tools and workflow are certainly ideal. That being said, having the ability to generate particles in Nuke's 3D space is a nice tool to have if you're already using Nuke.

The reason this is such a big deal for Nuke folks, is that up until today, there has been no particle system in nuke at all. Other compositing software like Eyeon's Fusion has had particles for a really long time. It's a pretty big deal in the VFX world, but I can understand why it seems like a non event to After Effects guys. :)

One thing that is making me think about getting up to speed in Nuke is the ability to import real 3D objects...so sick of After Effects 2.5D world.

Any Nuke users who can enlighten me...is the light/shadows/texture options good enough to skip none-animated object render from 3D apps.?

but I can understand why it seems like a non event to After Effects guys. :)

I wouldn't call it a non-event, but beckmanvfx pretty much laid out all the reasons - just like AE isn't ideal for VFX, Nuke is not necessarily the best choice for mograph. I had a test license once, but I really never had the time to properly get into Nuke and I couldn't find enough good excuses to use it for any of my projects so there you go. It's a nice piece of software, but to be useful for mograph, they would have to change and add too many things.... Otehrs have tried and failed, so it's perhaps smarter for the Foundry to focus on a crowd they realyl understand and leave us mere mortals doodling around with AE ;-)

Mylenium

If anything, all this does is put another nail in Fusion's coffin.

I hope not, but who knows. I was a big Fusion user for many years. It truly does cover the gap between AE and Nuke. Since I haven't used it in a couple of years, I don't seem to notice their presence in the industry that much lately (from a visibility standpoint.) If they had had an OSX version up and running when Shake went down things might look different now, but Nuke grabbed those spoils of war. I was initially concerned when The Foundry bought Nuke (nothing against the Foundry, but software acquisitions always have the potential to go bad); boy was I wrong. What an excellent company with an aggressive roadmap.

That being said, Fusion's particle system is awesome, as are so many of their other features. I think some Nuke users would be surprised.

-mike