Sign in to follow this  
NickPrepixel

Back in the day - HBO intro

It's too easy now eh. Who votes we go back to being a bit more hands on? biggrin.gif

I remember seeing this special back in the day.

One can't help but wonder, given another 25 years of continued development where we might be now with practical effects.

"in the old days, you'd have to hand crank it, but now with computers we can have it do the moves for us".

Wow, its so weird to hear someone in an interview from the 80's say "back in the day". hahaha. Can anyone make out what computer they were using for the motion control rig?

i've shot a bunch of stuff at Liberty Studios, where this was made. Not sure if they are still in business, but the stage is a LOT smaller than you would think, on the second floor of a 26th street townhouse / office in NYC. Last time i was there, they still had a bunch of the building models stored in a shed on the deck.

Edited by three5

That was an amazing watch. You gotta love how things used to be done.

I love the computer as much as the next guy but there is a certain charm that handmade effects have that will never grow old in my book.

Agreed. Blade Runner and the first few films in the Star Wars series are my favourite sci-fi movies. There is something about real light on a real model that software still can't match.

Agreed. Blade Runner and the first few films in the Star Wars series are my favourite sci-fi movies. There is something about real light on a real model that software still can't match.

I watched Blade Runner recently after not seeing it for a very long time, and was completely blown away by the quality of many of the visual effects. Some of the cityscapes hold up next to anything being done today.

As for going back to when things were done more by hand, that's quaint and all, but I would certainly starve to death. ;)

"Pay a little closer attention to detaaaaaaaaaaaaails

All the things you're taking for granted

are just as important as what you see"

LOL...love the custom tune.