Sign in to follow this  
emgciao

Future of Motion Graphics

I'd recommend anyone to reach outside of designing for their usual sd/hd/cinema pipeline in seeing what other experiences your work can offer. There's definitely a lot to learn and fun to be had when taking your skills cross-platform and collaborating with engineers, scientists, doctors, artists, architects, performers, musicians, philanthroipists, etc. I agree that good design can transcend working in any medium, and a great Idea usually needs to be at it's core no matter how good the design. Unfortunately, I don't feel that most Motion Design courses are teaching good design or good conceptual thinking these days, but focusing more on animation technique/software and becoming marketable (ie. useful interms of productions work) upon graduation. That can put some motion designers at a disadvantage when being part of a bigger team. Perhaps it's just the nature of what any normal 20yr is interested in at that stage in life (getting a job making sweeet shit). However, there will always be a film making/narrative-animation element that plays into our field that can be very important and expressive as well for entertainment and art value and less dependent on new technology or making the world a more interactive place. I often see them as two separate directions for what we're talking about here.

A couple obvious mediums I can see many of us designing more for are touchscreens and 3d screens. Both seem to have a lot of $$momentum$$ pushing them forward, and with those there are a lot of emerging artists who are taking interactive design and storytelling to new levels. It also seems like we are constantly integrating data visualization into these folds, be it syncing your phone to customize an experience, taking a snapshot of a barcode to finish a story, or entering your zipcode to get a personalized music video. I'm sure an easy jump will be animated opening titles for e-books or headlines for digital magazines as well if people continue to read.

emgciao, if you've flirted around with liking a company like Barbarian Group, you might also like places like Potion, UVA, Antenna, 2x4, LocalProjects, Jeff Han, or DataViz stuff that people like Aaron Koblin are pushing forward. Or even bigger companies like Ideo who are always looking for people with AE/3d talent. The important thing is to bring big ideas to the table, and not just be a button pusher for those types of places. It's nice to see them credit the 3d dude behind those Molecular Animations you linked to for his contribution in it's production.

No different from what most people posted in this thread but I think my man Robert Zimmerman said it best:

Come gather ’round people

Wherever you roam

And admit that the waters

Around you have grown

And accept it that soon

You’ll be drenched to the bone

If your time to you is worth savin’

Then you better start swimmin’ or you’ll sink like a stone

For the times they are a-changin’

I'd recommend anyone to reach outside of designing for their usual sd/hd/cinema pipeline in seeing what other experiences your work can offer. There's definitely a lot to learn and fun to be had when taking your skills cross-platform and collaborating with engineers, scientists, doctors, artists, architects, performers, musicians, philanthroipists, etc. I agree that good design can transcend working in any medium, and a great Idea usually needs to be at it's core no matter how good the design. Unfortunately, I don't feel that most Motion Design courses are teaching good design or good conceptual thinking these days, but focusing more on animation technique/software and becoming marketable (ie. useful interms of productions work) upon graduation. That can put some motion designers at a disadvantage when being part of a bigger team. Perhaps it's just the nature of what any normal 20yr is interested in at that stage in life (getting a job making sweeet shit). However, there will always be a film making/narrative-animation element that plays into our field that can be very important and expressive as well for entertainment and art value and less dependent on new technology or making the world a more interactive place. I often see them as two separate directions for what we're talking about here.

A couple obvious mediums I can see many of us designing more for are touchscreens and 3d screens. Both seem to have a lot of $$momentum$$ pushing them forward, and with those there are a lot of emerging artists who are taking interactive design and storytelling to new levels. It also seems like we are constantly integrating data visualization into these folds, be it syncing your phone to customize an experience, taking a snapshot of a barcode to finish a story, or entering your zipcode to get a personalized music video. I'm sure an easy jump will be animated opening titles for e-books or headlines for digital magazines as well if people continue to read.

emgciao, if you've flirted around with liking a company like Barbarian Group, you might also like places like Potion, UVA, Antenna, 2x4, LocalProjects, Jeff Han, or DataViz stuff that people like Aaron Koblin are pushing forward. Or even bigger companies like Ideo who are always looking for people with AE/3d talent. The important thing is to bring big ideas to the table, and not just be a button pusher for those types of places. It's nice to see them credit the 3d dude behind those Molecular Animations you linked to for his contribution in it's production.

Yeah I totally agree with this. For me the ability to tell engaging stories through motion is what it's about, through whatever medium, and increasingly the concept is required to be cross platform. Telling stories doesn't necessarily mean in the conventional sense either, creating a narrative around something seemingly abstract such as a user interface paradigm or mental model is a way of creating a tangible 'story' and telling it to the user through motion.