Sign in to follow this  
magictea

Mograph book page turn

I've been trying to make an animated book with flipping pages (super cheesy I know but i get asked for this kinda stuff a lot). I had the bright idea of doing a single page flip with a plane/bend deformer and then using mograph to duplicate and offset the pages animation with a step effector. This nearly worked except that of course the pages stay the same relative to each other and so all intersect near the spine of the book as they flip over.

I'm sure there must be an obvious solution to this but i've been sat here for hours trying various things and failing horribly. Does any kind, kind person out there have some insight into how I could fix this issue or a different approach? (I did see something about doing this with cloth but that looked pretty awkward).

Many thanks - http://www.mediafire.com/?bbs4vdvyoivtoh0

This is one of those problems which sounds trivial but which can actually turn into a rigging nightmare.

I had to build one of these rigs a few years ago in Maya and I think the solution that I cam up with involved the positioning and offsetting of pages being driven by the relative spine position. There were also a couple of blendshapes on the pages themselves to account for the way they lay on top of each other after they turn. I'm not sure how much of that is translatable to C4d, but I truly wish you luck. It is a headache indeed.

does setting the Cloner Object to Radial Mode instead of Linear with an End Angle of only a few degrees bring you any closer to something you can work with ?

douwe

With all that mograph trickery you're giving up too much control. Just use a simple plane, add about 10 smooth bind joints from the top left of the page to the bottom right of the page, animate each joint accordingly and make a double-sided shader. I made one using this method which you can see in my reel...link below.

does setting the Cloner Object to Radial Mode instead of Linear with an End Angle of only a few degrees bring you any closer to something you can work with ?

douwe

You're a scholar and a gentleman sir. That should get me enough I don't need to flick through the whole book, I can bulk out the rest of the pages with a textured cube or something.

You're a scholar and a gentleman sir. That should get me enough I don't need to flick through the whole book, I can bulk out the rest of the pages with a textured cube or something.

I've done this before with cloth, it worked pretty well and you get a satisfying bounce as each page hits. It's quite fiddly to setup, but once you have a page cached you can tweak and offset to get the remaining pages. To get the turn, use gravity pointing upwards until the page goes over 90°, then flip to downwards so it falls on the right side. Of course you'll need to fix the points on the spine of the book.

I just tried rigging the pages with soft IK, and it seemed to work fine. All you need is joints on 1 page, then drop it in a null, and duplicate as many pages as you need. Then offset the y position/rotation.

This was my best effort using an animated bend deformer duplicated with mograph and then adding in some extra keyframed pages later on for fine control. The book jacket I did using bones and some of the character tools (some of the deformation is a bit ropey but my first foray into skinning). There are some issues along the spine and how that looks when its fully opened up but tbh once textured an lit this is probably good enough for my purposes.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6s8iyy42mrht6b7