Sign in to follow this  
joedonaldson

Decline in the quality of Apple products...

First off I would like to state that I am in no way bashing Apple. I am just as big of an Apple fan as the next guy. I would also like to state that I dont want to start some ridiculous mac vs. PC war or any of that nonsense.

This is simply just a post about our experience with recent apple products. In my case, I have found that many of Apples new products just feel more and more cheeply consturcted. For instance, the new MacBook Pros are so thinly constructed that you can feel them give under the pressure of your hand. I am all about having a nice slim and sleek computer but I think there needs to be a line between form and function. Recently my charger slipped out from my fingertips and fell 1 INCH onto the top of my computer (under the left speaker) and left the dent the size of a pencil eraser. Granted that is 100% my fault but I had a first generation MBP when they were first released and that think was a tank. With the prices so high it is a bit disheartening to have a product that is so fragile in so many ways. I can't imagine how a MacBook Air would be!

Anyways, thats just an observation I have had recently. Hopefully it isn't a continuing trend.

(And dont get me started on the batteries, 3 month old MBP with a battery that is supposed to last 8 hours only last 2 hours with a full charge (this is still under warranty I just need to take my lazy ass down there to swap it out but again its the principle))

Any thought?

... there needs to be a line between form and function.

Well, the selling point of a MPB is that it's powerful and still light enough to be easily lugged around, so I guess something's got to give. Weight could be a deciding factor (or at least a USP) so they're gonna try to get it as light as possible, then if you drop it well that's your fault.

There's plenty of other reasons to dislike Apple at the moment - glossy screen fetish, USB3, total abandonment of their pro market - but as far as construction goes I'd say they're above average.

C

They're shooting lower and lower for the most common denominator. They're adding more restriction and telling YOU what you want and need (read: "No, you don't need that extra firewire port! You don't NEED access to the battery or RAM!) and over simplifying to the point of childish. They've been going down this path for a while. Since they realized they were on to something with the iPhone. Have you seen the previews of Lion? Candy coated buttons and slidy bits. They keep trying to be innovative by pushing their own tech and not playing ball with everyone else (read: No more flash), and they restrict your freedom and personal taste, forcing you to develop a taste for THEIR aesthetics. Glass is sexy, but its quite a bastard when you actually need to do some work. Chrome and aluminum look nice, until you drop it, bang on it, or otherwise bring it into a living, breathing world of clumsy humans. They're unifying their operating system, and their design aesthetics across every device they make. All the laptops, regardless of type, look the same. Same bevel, same fucking black border lines that clash horribly with silver aluminum casing and glass full of glare. They put two fucking USB ports.... on the same side of the laptop... not a quarter of an inch between them. So when you plug in a thumb drive, and want to plug in another peripheral, guess what? The other device can't fit because the basic mold around the connector is too thick and crams up agains the other plugged in device. They charge you 150 bucks to remove the shit-glare glass for a "higher resolution display". I used to not have to pay anything to remove the glass, or just a little extra for JUST a higher res. screen. Apple's never going to use usb 3.0. Its a technology they had no hand in creating (like firewire). Haven't heard any updates on firewire to rival USB 3.0.... You're fucked if you think any of that is going to come out in time to be useful.

They're spreading themselves too thin, they're unifying and forcing their aesthetic too much, they're shooting too low for the bumbling hipster that doesn't know what RAM stands for, and they're more constrictive about their products than your mom was about your life when you were 16.

You're not the only one. It kills me too, because i've been using apple products since the VERY beginning, and its too easy for me to just step back for a second and look at the bigger picture of whats going on and realize the path they're headed on. I have an aunt who works at apple. She's not happy with what they're doing either. I think that says something when even your employees are going "uhh, hey, is that really necessary?"

/rant

Well, the selling point of a MPB is that it's powerful and still light enough to be easily lugged around, so I guess something's got to give. Weight could be a deciding factor (or at least a USP) so they're gonna try to get it as light as possible, then if you drop it well that's your fault.

There's plenty of other reasons to dislike Apple at the moment - glossy screen fetish, USB3, total abandonment of their pro market - but as far as construction goes I'd say they're above average.

C

They are above average in many ways but it does say something when a product is that easily damaged. And again yes it is 100% the users fault but it should be considered. My old MBP could take a lot of abuse and it weighed slightly more and still fit into any laptop backpack or case that any of the newer models can currently.

They're shooting lower and lower for the most common denominator. They're adding more restriction and telling YOU what you want and need (read: "No, you don't need that extra firewire port! You don't NEED access to the battery or RAM!) and over simplifying to the point of childish. They've been going down this path for a while. Since they realized they were on to something with the iPhone. Have you seen the previews of Lion? Candy coated buttons and slidy bits. They keep trying to be innovative by pushing their own tech and not playing ball with everyone else (read: No more flash), and they restrict your freedom and personal taste, forcing you to develop a taste for THEIR aesthetics. Glass is sexy, but its quite a bastard when you actually need to do some work. Chrome and aluminum look nice, until you drop it, bang on it, or otherwise bring it into a living, breathing world of clumsy humans. They're unifying their operating system, and their design aesthetics across every device they make. All the laptops, regardless of type, look the same. Same bevel, same fucking black border lines that clash horribly with silver aluminum casing and glass full of glare. They put two fucking USB ports.... on the same side of the laptop... not a quarter of an inch between them. So when you plug in a thumb drive, and want to plug in another peripheral, guess what? The other device can't fit because the basic mold around the connector is too thick and crams up agains the other plugged in device. They charge you 150 bucks to remove the shit-glare glass for a "higher resolution display". I used to not have to pay anything to remove the glass, or just a little extra for JUST a higher res. screen. Apple's never going to use usb 3.0. Its a technology they had no hand in creating (like firewire). Haven't heard any updates on firewire to rival USB 3.0.... You're fucked if you think any of that is going to come out in time to be useful.

They're spreading themselves too thin, they're unifying and forcing their aesthetic too much, they're shooting too low for the bumbling hipster that doesn't know what RAM stands for, and they're more constrictive about their products than your mom was about your life when you were 16.

You're not the only one. It kills me too, because i've been using apple products since the VERY beginning, and its too easy for me to just step back for a second and look at the bigger picture of whats going on and realize the path they're headed on. I have an aunt who works at apple. She's not happy with what they're doing either. I think that says something when even your employees are going "uhh, hey, is that really necessary?"

/rant

Time will only tell when it comes to the relationship between mac and the pro user.

Haven't heard any updates on firewire to rival USB 3.0....

Light Peak, developed in cooperation with Intel. Of course, we'd all like our computers to have more compatibility, but as always Apple can get annoying that way.

As far as pro apps go, I guess we'll see early next year (when Steve Jobs hinted the next FCS version will be released), though there have been rumors that they are very behind on development, and will scrap many of the amazing features they were hoping to include. (Those rumors still hint at Apple creating a "Phenomenon"-like Shake/Motion hybrid, so take all that with a grain of salt.)

Edited by jayfaker

Light Peak, developed in cooperation with Intel. Of course, we'd all like our computers to have more compatibility, but as always Apple can get annoying that way.

As far as pro apps go, I guess we'll see early next year (when Steve Jobs hinted the next FCS version will be released), though there have been rumors that they are very behind on development, and will scrap many of the amazing features they were hoping to include. (Those rumors still hint at Apple creating a "Phenomenon"-like Shake/Motion hybrid, so take all that with a grain of salt.)

The big update is to get rid of FCP all together and make iMovie all encompassing requiring the use of a touchscreen/ magic trackpad :P

Well, the selling point of a MPB is that it's powerful and still light enough to be easily lugged around,

6bit display? no BluRay drive? one 7200rpm drive option? 330m intel integrated graphics as the only option? and extra $150 just to not have ridiculous amounts of glare?

for hardware, they seem to be less pro than they used to be --especially at twice the price.

What's the $150 option?

The original matte finish?

Can you get that on an LED display?

Glare sucks.

-m

The new MBPs come standard with a glossy display and it costs $150 to upgrade to the "MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display"

no please, I beg you. Don't get that rumor going again. It's in the ground... not sleeping. just dead.

and FCS...I wouldn't bet your business around it.

no please, I beg you. Don't get that rumor going again. It's in the ground... not sleeping. just dead.

and FCS...I wouldn't bet your business around it.

How is it dead, exactly? The thing was announced a year ago, and it is expected to be shipping by early next year.

seriously?

that phenomenon rumor is well over three years old.

Oh, that. I thought you meant Light Peak. I wasn't bringing the Phenomenon rumor back, I was using it to qualify the rumor about the FCS features being scrapped/delayed.

Edited by jayfaker

I almost switched to a PC for my new machine only thing that kept me on a Mac is not wanting to learn how to troubleshoot a new system and because 25% of my work is editing and I like FCP but pretty sure my next machine will be a PC and will switch to Avid for cutting (or maybe even Premiere). Really think the writing is on the wall for FCP the last release, or maybe the last two releases? had 0 useful new features for pro users. I want to switch before I have no choice.

The stuff that I would really like to see in FCP better tools for multiple editors working on a project for example are never going to happen.

There is also the frustrating phenomenon of the apple store causing less retailers to carry Macs and don't get me started on what a horrible experience it is to go to an apple store.

but as far as construction goes I'd say they're above average.

Don't think so. Sure, a MacPro is still nicely thought out all with its easy drive bays and flip out mounting and it's all nicely crafted, but you can get equally well thought ought stuff elsewhere. Same for notebooks. And for electronics they certainly are not doing it much different than anyone else - buy a few components here and there, craft a custom main controller chip based on licensed ARM cores, and have everything assembled at some big Chinese factory. Mmh, I can get most of that from other vendors, too, if you compare things on a level playing field. Obviously you can't expect an aluminium casing and a top display in a 400 Euro no name notebook, but comparing a 1000 Euro Toshiba to a MacBook certainly will not reveal too many differences in terms of quality and features, if you don't mind the differences in outward appearance...

Mylenium

I'm with you guys 100%, but if we're talking operating systems I still think windows is a pain to manage and work on compared to OSX.

Definitely with you on that one. I really would not like to go back to using Windows again. Granted its not that bad but I am a big fan od OSX.

It's a shame adobe ignores Linux.

They are not "ignoring" it, they are just doing their business math. Linux is irrelevant. Think about it: How many Linux users do you know at all and how many of those work in creative industries? I don't know a single one. Yes, there are a few 3D programs on Linux and many render farms run Linux, but otherwise I don't know a single person who would use it. And even these few 3D programs are tied to specific distributions and lack features you have on other platforms because the code libraries don't exist for Linux to begin with. For exactly the same reason, Adobe will probably never ever have Linux versions of their products - simply takes too much effort to convert all their custom code for what little numbers of users would use it....

Mylenium