Sign in to follow this  
Carey

MographWiki

So a few years ago we had a burst of activity here that resulted in mographwiki.net, which was meant to be a repository of knowledge about the industry, its practice and people. But the activity died down before the site ever really figured itself out. Fortunately, several thousand people/studios found it useful as a directory and poured tons of information into it and it's been used to some degree to find freelancers and studios and generally figure out who does the work and where they can be found.

To me, that seems pretty powerful considering that "motion graphics" is this kind of nebulous thing whose practitioners are scattered about and only known by some insider network fueled by word of mouth and IM buddy lists. We could at the very least have something that helps producers find you and your work, helps agencies find studios, and generally makes people visible. No, not facebook for mograph, just a useful The problem is that the site is really disorganized, kinda hard on the eyes, and doesn't invite people to include useful information. This is stating the issue pretty simply, but after lots of struggling to figure out what might work, I have a sort of decent workup for what might help kickstart the site.

Front Page

Studio profile

Knowledgebase article

As it stands, the site is partially set up to create template-generated company/freelancer pages by dumping info into fields. I don't know how this is done, but i've kept it in mind when comping. We can do all kinds of things like include work samples, google maps, cross-references to other people/studios, etc. And I can go on and on about what the site could do once people start putting info into it, but what really needs to happen is for this thing to get built, and I've proven to be horrible at web development. There have been a few people who took some pretty decent stabs at it, but as a pro bono venture, it hasn't quite gotten finished.

So here's the question:

Do you, or anyone you know, have the skills and interest to dig into the wiki structure and figure out how to build this so we can all start benefitting from it?

There have been a few people who took some pretty decent stabs at it, but as a pro bono venture, it hasn't quite gotten finished.

I'm one of those people sad.gif..... Failed Miserably. Broke everything on the stage server and couldn't bring it back. Media Wiki was insanely difficult to customize without breaking.

Edited by AromaKat

Those comps look sexy...and I'd love to see MographWiki expanded. I don't have any wiki-coding knowledge, but I'm in full support of any effort to get it done and would be willing to help with what I can.

What's the wiki it's built on? I don't know enough if there's one or many. We have a girl here who knows enough web stuff to be deadly, just need to be able to tell her about intelligently since I've never dabbled in the wiki stuff.

What's the wiki it's built on? I don't know enough if there's one or many. We have a girl here who knows enough web stuff to be deadly, just need to be able to tell her about intelligently since I've never dabbled in the wiki stuff.

Its Media Wiki. The antichrist of wikis

So.... I asked my developer friends about it, and they are basically telling me that its not really possible to get the functionality / design shown within the comps without basically tearing up the underlying code that its not a standard build of MediaWiki anymore. They said if mediawiki ever gets updated, everything done would be broken. Basically, Im being told by everyone that theres just no way to "theme" or "skin" it in the way is drawn out at all.

Even low-cost overseas options are quoting 2-10k with the same disclaimer. I think if this is going to be tackled, it would be cheaper, more flexible in terms of functionality, and faster to just completely custom re-write of the site's codebase.

Maybe some MediaWiki guru will jump in and save the day here, but I was planning on just hiring some guys who I've worked with in the past and pay for it as a way to contribute to the site, but the complexity and price points are just way to high.

If there are enough people willing to contribute money to it as well, I will throw in up to $600.

Edited by AromaKat

Sounds like professional developers is the way to go. I'll put in $500.

Mediatemple is hosting it for free, so really it's just the starting cost that we need to cover.

It's really in everyone's long term interest to be included in a coherent and useable directory that allows them to represent themselves however they like, to drive traffic to their own portfolios or whatever benefits them. And to provide that for free. Like, imagine how beneficial it would be if motionographer listed everyone who wants to be listed as opposed to just the people who everyone already knows. Again, not a replacement to a personal site, not a job board, just a way for people to find you, and for you to find people.

Edited by Binky

Mographwiki could be a truly useful site, I could potentially donate money in the future. The key though, is finding trustworthy coders. Not sure I'd want to hire overseas for this sort of thing, I'd like someone easy to track down for tech support and updates.

Mographwiki could be a truly useful site, I could potentially donate money in the future. The key though, is finding trustworthy coders. Not sure I'd want to hire overseas for this sort of thing, I'd like someone easy to track down for tech support and updates.

I know overseas talent is sketchy in our line of work, but for programming / web development, I have personally experienced better results with overseas talent - price point aside. And I use the same guys all the time. Very trustworthy and come through like champs. The US freelance programmers market is pretty scarce. The good ones in the US are gobbled up by tech companies, and they don't really need to moonlight to make ends meet. I am sure there are plenty of good freelance programming talent out there, but I am also sure that if overseas guys are quoting 2k, US guys that can do the same will be more like 10-20k.

Just sayin... When it comes to the overseas / quality stigma, I wouldn't worry too much. Binky made the designs already, and I think we are all in agreement that they look great. When it comes to programming, it either works or it doesn't. Simple as that - no subjective interpretation.

Again, not a replacement to a personal site, not a job board, just a way for people to find you, and for you to find people.

I personally would like to see it go even a bit beyond that. If someone wants to write up a whole article on GI, or whatever - I think that would be great. A real encyclopedia for anything mograph, not just a talent / studio directory.

Edited by AromaKat

I agree with Binky and we need something like this. We're a small house and recently had to find some freelancers and it was a bit exhausting doing the searching yourself across all the various channels. It'd be great to have a central repository for that. I could toss in a little, for what it's worth.

I'd love for there to be a migration process from posts from this site over to the wiki- the_monkey's 2008 AICP post comes to mind as far as a knowledge repository that would be wonderful to be migrated or bookmarked somewhere else more concrete.

I can throw 100 bucks towards this. I think most serious freelancers on here would do the same.

I agree, those comps look absolutely pro and fantastic, but look kind of word-press-y as opposed to wiki CMS.

c

Hey guys. I feel really bad about letting the wiki languish and I think it's great you're trying to jumpstart it. I've got really busy with other things (like my 2-year-old) and don't have the time to properly maintain the site. I'd gladly hand this over to someone else who could expand on what we've already done and try to help out as much as I can.

I still agree that it would be a great place to be both a mograph information repository and a company/freelancer directory. I just had a really hard time getting many people to help write articles and maintain pages (other than their own companies -- that was easy). Maybe I didn't sell it enough, or the page wasn't enticing enough to get people excited about it.

So about the infrastructure... The site was built with Mediawiki because it seemed right for a large, feature-rich wiki, and because I'm not a programmer and couldn't write up anything myself. The site relies heavily on Semantic Mediawiki to better organize the content. That helps with the dynamic pages that list all the companies in a given city, for example. (You'll see I even have maps on the city pages showing the the company's location). For the data-entry, it relies on Semantic Forms, another add-on that creates the forms when you edit a company/freelancer page. As far as skinning the page, if you're handy with CSS/HTML you can pretty much move everything around. The skin I'm using is pretty heavily modified already (comparing it to, say, Wikipedia). I think it's possible to come up with something close to what Binky has laid out (which looks great, btw).

I'm not sure where to take this from here, but please let me know if you have any more questions about the site.

Edited by yuppster

Ok, so heres an update.

Put your wallets away for now... I am currently trying to migrate the data into a wordpress environment. Initial tests came out good with a wiki plugin, but now need to coordinate some with yuppster to get relevant data in.

The site I am building is currently being hosted on a domain that I for some reason own but was doing nothing with. On that site, you can sign up for email updates, connect to the facebook or twitter pages, etc etc.

http://www.pcmate48.com/

I'm pretty sure the domain will change soon to something more appropriate. Without knowing who currently manages the site, I didn't want to just steal the attention. Ideally, the URL should stay the same.

If anyone knows wordpress well, and would like to help out, shoot me a message. Please bear with me while I'm stabbing away at this in the evenings / weekends. Ideas and suggestions are welcomed but the priority right now is migrating the existing data and build a theme - then work on adding new functionality.

Edited by AromaKat

We may be able to help out with Wordpress, I have a good friend that is really good at it and we've built some sites for ourselves using Wordpress.

I sent out a few emails out for some Media Wiki quotes before the holidays but I suspect people are slow to get back to me because of the holidays. If Wordpress doesn't work out we can have that in our back pocket.

I assume this Wordpress wiki plugin allows the editing by people similar to a wiki site?

Ok, why is there so many crappy Freelance links on Mograph Wiki now? It used to be cream o' the crop stuff...

I don't want to check it anymore.

Edited by hyp3