Sign in to follow this  
edrhine

I'm here for the party...

Hey there everyone! Been a long time user of this site and excited to post my latest demo reel. I would love your opinion on what you hate, love, think, don't think and any other comment you have. This is the rough cut so there are a few audio glitches and the slates are only temporary (thinking of going with a simple AE type layout instead). Thanks for your time and hope you enjoy it. I also have a lot of other work posted to the site and last years reel if you are interested.

http://www.volohmedia.com/?p=378

Edited by edrhine

Well... off the bat I am wondering why you need our opinion or approval. Theres some pretty solid work in there.

Its a little odd that the title card has no motion, and I was seeing a lot of "hired us", and "we created" being used in the breakdowns - which leaves me wondering exactly what you did for each of them and how much input was yours. A role breakdown would be beneficial.

Edited by AromaKat

AromaKat -- Thanks for responding!! I value the frankness and honesty on this site, as well as the experience that many people have. I appreciate the comment on the solid work, and the title card is getting redesigned right now. As far as the breakdowns are concerned, that is the next step in the process. My site has many of the boards and full spots from the reel with explanations of what I have done. I have been working in a design/promo house, so there is a lot of collaboration, but every shot included is something I believe I can take credit for. I will try to get the breakdown up asap, and thanks again for the advice on that.

Edited by edrhine

yeah ed!

Well I think it's pretty solid for the most part. Honestly I think you should go with your gut regarding the slates... Your reel is full of 3d type at crazy angles so your slates might be a good opportunity to show off some clean typography.

The gridiron games robotic football is pretty rad. The IBM stuff I like too. And obviously the arrows shots are top notch. Ahhhhh miller. Who made that AMAZING ice background?? ;)

My least faves are the girl eating the pizza, and the "welcome to las vegas"... the explosion kinda kills it for me. Also I think the stuff with the airplanes is sweet up until the lockup, that starts looking more cluttered so I would think about maybe trimming that down a touch.

Keep it up!

Thanks for taking a look Adam! Your advice is always appreciated. I am working on simple AE animated type lockups now and should have that reposted by Sunday/Monday. The Miller background is definitely the overall highlight fo sho! That was you in the original spots right? That was pretty much the first thing I did at IP and a total scavenge job between Chad and myself with new 3D and 2D animations only. The Vegas and Wow shots are def not the same level as the rest but I thought fun and a different style. I will revisited those for sure. If you dont mind and have the time, I have my reel from before posted on the site as well. It is completely different work and would appreciate if there is anything in there you think should be in the new one let me know. Thanks again man and hope to see you soon.

Thanks Chad! I really appreciate that.

Everyone -- I have updated the edit and the intro/outro slate and would love some more feedback. If time, I would appreciate if there is anything on the 2009 reel that you feel should be on the 2010. Thanks so much for your time.