Sign in to follow this  
scottgordon

Flipping tiles?

So I need to create a longish animation where the image is divided into squares and the squares flip and there's another image...I need to be able to change up the order of flipping and I need to be able to flip with the edge of the square as the axis, not the center of the square...I know Card Dance can do a reasonable job, but anyone know of anything else? Doing it by hand is too complicated for the budget...Expressions or a plug in? thanks!

I did a series of TVCs that did this a few weeks ago. The project is on my work computer and I wont be back at work for a few days.

I used this expression from the "5 expressions that will change your life" thread.

// Inertial Bounce (moves settle into place after bouncing around a little)

n = 0;

if (numKeys > 0){

n = nearestKey(time).index;

if (key(n).time > time){

n--;

}

}

if (n == 0){

t = 0;

}else{

t = time - key(n).time;

}

if (n > 0){

v = velocityAtTime(key(n).time - thisComp.frameDuration/10);

amp = .05;

freq = 4.0;

decay = 2.0;

value + v*amp*Math.sin(freq*t*2*Math.PI)/Math.exp(decay*t);

}else{

value;

}

It will take care of the little bounce around if you plug the expression into a rotation value.

If you are not in a rush I could strip my AE project down and upload it for you.

You would still need to manually cut the large images into tiles in PhotoShop. That is unless you can find a script to automate the chopping up of the tiles.

Edited by destro