Sign in to follow this  
secretninja

Out of sync comps in AE

Hi,

I'm doing a school After Effects project that has multiple comps. in it. Some of the comps are in sync and some are out of sync. Is there a fix for this?

Thanks!

It's not clear what you mean. Is the video out of synch with the audio? Is the timing of an animation in a nested composition not synchronized with the animation in the containing composition?

Also, it really, really helps if you tell what version of After Effects (including whether you have installed the recent updates) and what operating system you're using, what kinds of source footage you're using, and so on. The more information you give, the more likely someone can help.

It's the time code for each comp. If I put my main comp (Comp 1) at 0:00:00:00 and then I open up another comp (comp 2)in my project it may be off a few sec. I'm using CS4, on a mac with snow leopard.

It's not clear what you mean. Is the video out of synch with the audio? Is the timing of an animation in a nested composition not synchronized with the animation in the containing composition?

Also, it really, really helps if you tell what version of After Effects (including whether you have installed the recent updates) and what operating system you're using, what kinds of source footage you're using, and so on. The more information you give, the more likely someone can help.

It's the time code for each comp. If I put my main comp (Comp 1) at 0:00:00:00 and then I open up another comp (comp 2)in my project it may be off a few sec.

I'm still not seeing the problem. Each composition has its own timeline, and there's nothing strange about having the composition time within one composition not be the same as the composition time within another composition. Perhaps a screenshot would help to show what you're seeing that seems problematic.

I'm using CS4, on a mac with snow leopard.

When you say 'CS4', do you mean 9.0.0? Or do you have the most recent updates installed?

When you say Snow Leopard, do you mean 10.6.0? 10.6.5?

These things matter a lot. Lots of bugs get fixed from one version to the next, and often problems that you see are fixed in an update that you just haven't applied yet.

Sorry this responds is in two parts.

After I set the two comps time to 0's I'll go back to the 1st comp I set to 0, and the time code is at a negative number.

From your screenshot 1.png, it is clear that your Shot1_Iguchi_Comp layer begins a few frames before time=0 in the main composition (Comp1). So, it is entirely expected that when you go into the Shot1_Iguchi_Comp composition and go to the first frame in that nested composition, that would correspond to a few frames before 0 in the timeline of Comp1.

If what you don't like is the fact that moving the current-time indicator in one composition also moves it in other compositions in the same hierarchy, you can turn that off. But that would indicate that what you want is for the compositions to not be in synch, which is the opposite of what your subject line states. The preference is Synchronize Time Of All Related Items.

Edited by Todd Kopriva