Sign in to follow this  
throb36

Wacom Tablet?

How many people here use a Wacom tablet?

And what are the advantages?

It think many would agree that once you start using one, you don't know how you worked without it. I suppose you could make the claim that it allows you to work faster and be more productive, but that certainly varies from person to person. Personally I find it a much more comfortable and natural way to work.

I was developing serious repetitive stress problems until I switched to using a Wacom fulltime, for me it's been a lifesaver. I find it a faster way to work in general as you can lift the pen and don't have to drag across the screen.

If you do any kind of drawing on the computer it's just the only way to go, also way better for roto IMO.

And as I've said in past posts, I have a wacom bamboo pen+touch and its awesome. Nothing beats being able to have multi-touch gestures AND pen input on the same pad. The downside is its not available for the larger more "pro" tablets. They're great for beginners trying out tablets for the first time, or for people like me, who need portability, don't necessarily need pinpoint accuracy for drawing, and want to save their hands/wrists from RSI. Not to mention if feels bad ass to be able to pinch/zoom, and then rotate a picture all with your fingers, then flip down your pen and start drawing all in one movement.

wacom tablet all the way - hard to explain why, but it is a totally different (better) way to interact with a computer

also, many things about tablets come down to preference - but don't assume that bigger is better. some people like huge tablets, some don't

I have dual 21.5" 1920x1080 monitors and wacom medium and I think it's a good match

I just got my first wacom about a month ago and have been adjusting. I dont do much drawing work but mostly wanted to get one to prevent wrist pain in the future. It takes a while to get used to but if it means not having carpel tunnel, ill take it

After hearing Monkey chide me a few times for mousing it, I decided to pick up the pen and give it a go. There's a tablet on our Avid which freelancers use but I always went to the mouse. Took me a day of bitching and whining, but then it stuck. I just ordered an Intuous 4 for the Mac I usually work on now. It could be my imagination, a controller placebo- but it *feels* like I'm moving faster and being a little more artistic. Maybe because it ties into your childlike sensibilities to just draw your thoughts and to not push the rodent around. Who knows. But I love it now. Cue Monkey making a snide remark about this post....

Also which is it? 'Wack-um' or 'Way-Com'. For realz.

I am pretty sure it is wack-um. I started using one about 2 years ago. Not sure why it took me so long. I can't use a mouse anymore.

After hearing Monkey chide me a few times for mousing it, I decided to pick up the pen and give it a go. There's a tablet on our Avid which freelancers use but I always went to the mouse. Took me a day of bitching and whining, but then it stuck. I just ordered an Intuous 4 for the Mac I usually work on now. It could be my imagination, a controller placebo- but it *feels* like I'm moving faster and being a little more artistic. Maybe because it ties into your childlike sensibilities to just draw your thoughts and to not push the rodent around. Who knows. But I love it now. Cue Monkey making a snide remark about this post....

Also which is it? 'Wack-um' or 'Way-Com'. For realz.

Started using the A4 intuos 4 at work recently, someone's lost all the nibs bar the basic one for it. Feels weird to work with a pen that has very little friction, so I taped a sheet of A4 paper over the pad. Problem solved. Excellent for roto but as I discovered even a pen/tablet will tend to make your hand cramp up after extended use. At least my tendons don't feel like they're on fire anymore.

thumb mouse, but thinking intuos 4 come grandma's $50 christmas check

so THE monkey uses a wacom ft for c4d work? love my thumb mouse though, no wrist pain with that thing compared to reg, mousing. being able to draw though would be cool

so THE monkey uses a wacom ft for c4d work?

Yeah along with the 1,2,3 keys. I remember him being frustrated with r12's removal of cmd button for right-click so not sure where he landed with that. Maybe a pen button hit also known as "hook finger".

i dunno, i got a bamboo pen and touch, and I use it for photoshop and drawing, but for everyday work, it has nowhere enough buttons or the speed which i get from my mouse.

then again, i have a razer naga, which has like 17 buttons it =D Just having copy, paste, back, forward, enter, F8 and F9 on my mouse speeds up work colossaly.

A Wacom tablet is the way to go for sure. I recently got my first tablet and I dont think I can ever go back. You get a more hands on interaction with the computer and with the Intuos' customizable express buttons you can set it to pretty much anything you want/need.

One thing I will add though is stay away from the wireless tablet. I was very intrigued buy this considering I am a neet freak and hate wires. I did some research and it all seemed to check out. Supposedly there isn't anymore delay than you would experience with a bluetooth mouse. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case for me. I have a 2010 decked out MacBook Pro and after testing the tablet on two machines I called Wacom and the one thing they could say was there could be some bluetooth interference (unlikely because that is the only bluetooth device synced to my computer) or that many of the wireless users also buy a bluetooth USB adaptor and that helps. So I sent it back and my wired Intuos is on its way now.

Yeah along with the 1,2,3 keys. I remember him being frustrated with r12's removal of cmd button for right-click so not sure where he landed with that. Maybe a pen button hit also known as "hook finger".

I still don't understand his (or anyones) problem with using the wacom pen's buttons. If for some reason you're trying to click it with your index (hook) finger then if you rotate the pen about 10 degrees anticlockwise its right under your thumb. Thats why its a rocker switch, I use alt and rmb/mmb using it just fine, some may say with the grace of a ninja :) (just me..)

I use off to the right, and just an A6 intuous for a dual monitor setup. I have one of the tablet buttons set to switch between left/right/both incase I need some 1:1 control when roto-ing. Any serious(?) painty stuff I have a Cintiq knocking around that I bought for a project earlier this year, but I use it so little I'm looking to sell it for some extra xmas cash.

i dunno, i got a bamboo pen and touch, and I use it for photoshop and drawing, but for everyday work, it has nowhere enough buttons or the speed which i get from my mouse.

then again, i have a razer naga, which has like 17 buttons it =D Just having copy, paste, back, forward, enter, F8 and F9 on my mouse speeds up work colossaly.

Sounds like you got some sort of robot arm there!

I use a small Wacom Intuos 4 for everything except scrolling on web pages. For that, i'm all two dirty fingers on one of those apple magic pad things. Oh, and I'm an in front of the keyboard guy.

I had to switch to pen when I started having wrist problems. Since then, I have been rocking!

Cheers,

Nick

I use nothing but a wacom. I had a mouse attached for this and that, but then my cat chewed through the mouse cord about 5 months ago. I have yet to replace it with another mouse.

The only times I could see using a mouse again would be for

• Needing something to control the cursor when troubleshooting / in safe mode since the drivers for the wacom wouldnt be loaded
  • Possibly in C4D... I still feel like I am faster in C4D with a mouse instead of a wacom, but haven't really tried different button configurations on the pen for the app

I'm also all-Wacom. Got an Intuous 4 early in the year and within a week or two I felt really comfortable with it. I actually feel weird when using a mouse, so I bring mine when I'm freelancing. I do use it a lot for boarding work & illustration, as well as AE + C4D (when I was interning last year I came across a designer using it with XSI and I though to myself at the time that I'd probably never get used to a wacom in a 3d program.. and here I am, almost can't live without one). Annoying tidbit - for some reason I have some issues around the far-right lower corner of the screen (whether in Win7 or Mac Os X) in a dual monitor setup, haven't figured out if it's a settings problem I need to adjust - ie, in Win 7 I have trouble clicking the right-most item in the taskbar that hides all your windows, seems to want to jump to the other screen instead.