Sign in to follow this  
edrhine

Model Conversion

I am trying to convert a gaming model from Max to Cinema to be used in a cinematic sequence/commercial. I have used the obj and 3ds converter and have the geometry but no textures. The overall idea would be to get the model into Cinema and then use mocap to have the characters interact for the spot.

If anyone knows a better way to convert, that would be awesome. Thanks!

Hey John! Long time no talk. I'm actually freelancing in Hollywood now, but still living in Denver.

Does Ripcord actually import Max files into Cinema? or is there another step with the Deep Exploration plugin. Any help would be sweet. Appreciate it man. Hope all is well

I am trying to convert a gaming model from Max to Cinema to be used in a cinematic sequence/commercial. I have used the obj and 3ds converter and have the geometry but no textures. The overall idea would be to get the model into Cinema and then use mocap to have the characters interact for the spot.

If anyone knows a better way to convert, that would be awesome. Thanks!

From what i have read elsewhere, there is no easy way to import a fully textured max scene ( which is a proprietary format for 3d Studio ), into C4D. I've seen some plugins in the exchange folder in my C4D installation. there are plugins there for various versions of max 9 - 2008, max 2009 and max 2010. Give it a try. I'm not sure whether you use them to export files or import. Haven't been able to get them to work.:(

you may have to bake your textures before exporting from Max. its very improbable that any texture info is going to travel well between 3d apps unless it is baked.

What you can usually count on working well when baking are Color, spec, reflection, bump, etc all baked to an object-specific UV map. Make sense?

The reason, as others have mentioned, is that each package uses its own shader/layers/nodes system for surfacing objects and there is no universal surface interchange format.

For the record, the same usually holds true for motion. Even with FBX and other formats, its always best to bake all editable channels of objects/lights/cameras that are being exchanged between 3d apps if you want the highest odds of success.

Sending things between 3d apps is never an exact science. Always be willing to troubleshoot.

Edited by monovich

Thanks everyone! First work for a video game type cinematic and just figuring the best way possible. I realize since all apps are different it really will not work right off the bat, but was looking to get as close as possible in the shortest amount of time.

Monovich thanks for the idea of baking the textures in Max first and btw nice site and boards. Your work rocks!

In my experience, you'll likely have to do considerable re-mapping in C4D unless you find a nice way to bake it all and import clean UVs. Max is notorious for being unco-operative with other softwares.