Sign in to follow this  
tenebreux

Thinking Particles help

Hi guys,

I was recently watching a tutorial on GSG where clones were generated via a cloner object and then made to fly into a shape defined by a spline. I was wondering if you could emit particles, more like a cloud really, and then make them take the shape of a spline. Would anyone be able to guide me on how to achieve that? I'm a C4D 11.5 user.

actually you can use the matrix object with the same setup as the tutorial.

I'm not quite sure how to use the matrix object. Would you be able to explain? Would i be able to make it still look cloud-like? I've got my particles emitting and all but i'm not sure how to use the matrix object to fit the emitted particles onto a spline. I've set the mode to object and set a spline as the object but emitted particles just fly through it.<br>

Edited by tenebreux

Check out the presets that come with the Documentation. There's TP_Move_On_Spline, TP_Follow_Spline, and TP_Spline_Emitter.

Tried them out but i'm more looking for particles taking the shape of a spline rather than being emitted from a spline.

Edited by tenebreux

in (very very) short:1. Draw some Particles with TP draw

2. Use TP position follow node

and you're done.

:blink: Whoah! Expresso! Sounds like that would do what i'm trying to achieve. I've read what's in the documentation but i could only find PDraw. Is that what you meant? I got the PDraw bit. Now that i have my particles, how would i do the second bit? Would you mind telling me more?

:blink: Whoah! Expresso! Sounds like that would do what i'm trying to achieve. I've read what's in the documentation but i could only find PDraw. Is that what you meant? I got the PDraw bit. Now that i have my particles, how would i do the second bit? Would you mind telling me more?

The Chicago Cinema 4D meet-up did a very well starters guide of sorts for TP. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S64lTwZ-G5Q&fmt=22

PVolume Position will give you an individual position for each particle. Just use that in combination with PPositionFollow and you can make particles form up inside of a specified volume.

Cheers

Björn

PVolume Position will give you an individual position for each particle. Just use that in combination with PPositionFollow and you can make particles form up inside of a specified volume.

Cheers

Björn

thanks bjorn :) I have never actually used TP before. Would you be able to get me started in the right direction please? I know how to set up the emitter and get some particles going. Would i use a PBorn emitter? what nodes would i use to get the particles set up and filling up a mesh?

You can dissect the presets for that. They contain a few more wires than strictly neccesary because you can set most parameters via user data fields, but the basic setups are in there.

Check the TP Volume Emitter preset for example.

It uses PBorn and PVolume position in the way you will very likely use them as well.

Chances are that the presets will actualy cover all you want to do without you ever having to see a single node ;)

Just make sure to get the documentation for the presets from the Maxon website

http://http.maxon.net/pub/misc/TP_Preset_documentation-Aug_11.zip

Cheers

Björn

You can dissect the presets for that. They contain a few more wires than strictly neccesary because you can set most parameters via user data fields, but the basic setups are in there.

Check the TP Volume Emitter preset for example.

It uses PBorn and PVolume position in the way you will very likely use them as well.

Chances are that the presets will actualy cover all you want to do without you ever having to see a single node ;)

Just make sure to get the documentation for the presets from the Maxon website

http://http.maxon.ne...tion-Aug_11.zip

Cheers

Björn

thanks a lot for the help file Björn:) Would you have some others on the various nodes in TP? I have to admit that the newbie that i am is still not sure about what node has what connectors that should be used. For example how to have a particle jump from one group to another based on it's age. Where could i find some tutorials about that? Also do you know of any books out there for TP?

I don't know many tutorials beside the few i have on my website. CG Talk has a thread that lists several and CIneversity covers some stuff as well.

Again Check the presets, the TP Group CHange preset does what you ask for in many variations.

Cheers

Björn