Sign in to follow this  
jayfaker

Woe is Mograph.net

When would you say the Golden Age was?

I think the sweet irony of this thread is that by bitching about mograph.net's lack of depth and breadth of discussion, it's starting some breadth and depth of discussion.

Guess its time to throw in my 2 cents as this is a fun topic. I joined in '06 after about a year or two of lurking but not knowing enough to help or even ask what I wanted to know. That time for me was the "Golden Age", not in a sense of that was the best work ever, but that was the time I was discovering how design could be put into motion. I remember endlessly downloading entire companies portfolios and framing through them to see how the magic was made. Every other week I would have a plateau and then a breakthrough and that cycle repeated endlessly. That still happens today but on a much smaller scale (in general). I think what it comes down to in terms of work and what original is that we are jaded by seeing more work than just about every other person on the planet. I know plenty of people out of this industry (or in related fields) that love whats happening now and are just as impressed as I was when I started.

As for the forum, I think it just shows that there are more people out there doing this. It does seem less personal and also a bit less harsh sometimes (which I miss) but that is probably because of the massive amount of people looking for answers and help. I have also noticed that while some of the old schoolers on here are not as active, some of the newer people are stepping up and answering questions and helping out.

Maybe this would be a good time to add another section to the forum that is related only to design and thought... a brainstorming section focused on making work better and insuring collaboration but without a technical aspect. Dont know... just a thought

Happy belated New Year everyone!!

Maybe this would be a good time to add another section to the forum that is related only to design and thought... a brainstorming section focused on making work better and insuring collaboration but without a technical aspect. Dont know... just a thought

sounds good to me.

I'll add my vote.

I'm only interested in making shiny GI balls, but I'll add my +1 to the overwhelming clamour.

How about we keep the good stuff right here and put all the nonsense in another section? ;)

-m

Edited by the_Monkey

How about we keep the good stuff right here and put all the nonsense in another section? ;)

-m

Maybe a section for Newbie Questions? I would also like to see more references to Powder. Thanks, Monkey. :)

thats very true... making a section for technical questions and "what system/plugins are cool" might make sense. either way I think that its basically the same idea of generally trying to separate the old and the new mograph

btw... thanks for all your cool stuff Monkey!

Lennart, you just couldn't have used Python ;)

Here's the Python take:

include c4d

goodstuff = []
nonsense = true

def main(http):
   if (!goodstuff): goodstuff = http.FindObject("goodstuff")
   elif (goodstuff): goodstuff = nonsense
   else: nonsence = goodstuff

I made goodstuff a Pyhon list because I imagine it's a lot of goodstuff.

Edited by C.Smith

Lennart, you just couldn't have used Python ;)

Here's the Python take:

include c4d

goodstuff = []
nonsense = true

def main(http):
   if (!goodstuff): goodstuff = http.FindObject("goodstuff")
   elif (goodstuff): goodstuff = nonsense
   else: nonsence = goodstuff

I made goodstuff a Pyhon list because I imagine it's a lot of goodstuff.

Busted!!!

Somebody copied somebody else's variables and copied the typo. :)

-m

And to remedy my own slipping down, I took the '58 Epiphone Texan FT79

and set it up with a Texas Highstring a couple of days ago.

(You use 12string octave strings only on E A and D.)

And my gosh, the joy of that discipline opened up loads of arrangements

on stuck songs and as a result of that the joy of the onscreen work was

boosted big time!

Nonsense = Goodstuff!

Cheers

Lennart

Busted!!!

Somebody copied somebody else's variables and copied the typo. :)

-m

What's funny is i didn't copy/paste anything (if that is what you are claiming is a bust). I actually just looked at his code and re-typed it, error and all.

And to remedy my own slipping down, I took the '58 Epiphone Texan FT79

and set it up with a Texas Highstring a couple of days ago.

(You use 12string octave strings only on E A and D.)

And my gosh, the joy of that discipline opened up loads of arrangements

on stuck songs and as a result of that the joy of the onscreen work was

boosted big time!

Nonsense = Goodstuff!

Cheers

Lennart

I just learned to knit a week ago.

I was waiting to share this until I was done with my first scarf and could prove it with pictures (probably still need another week), but this seems like an appropriate time to share equally joyous explorations in nonsense. It's been one of the most inspiring tasks I've taken up in ages.

In the beginning I just kept thinking, "A computer should be doing this. A computer should be doing this."

Then after awhile you just kinda fall into a zen like trance and the scarf starts to knit itself while you watch.

And to top it off... I was knitting on the train the other day and out of the blue some nice girl chatted me up and gave me her number.

Girls could give a shit about my years of experiments with sound/motion/space in C4D.

I tie a few knots together and all of a sudden they wanna talk.

Lesson learned. ;)

-m

What's funny is i didn't copy/paste anything (if that is what you are claiming is a bust). I actually just looked at his code and re-typed it, error and all.

I did think you copy/pasted it.

After all... you are the laziest most productive man I know.

-m

Edited by the_Monkey

And to top it off... I was knitting on the train the other day and out of the blue some nice girl chatted me up and gave me her number.

Girls could give a shit about my years of experiments with sound/motion/space in C4D.

I tie a few knots together and all of a sudden they wanna talk.

Maybe we should add a dating advice section as well. biggrin.gif

Edited by Spence

Restaurant Tacos, Taco Stand Tacos, Taqueria Tacos, or Homemade Tacos?

Unfortunately restaurant tacos. My faves are from carts and gas stations in the DF.