Sign in to follow this  
jayfaker

Woe is Mograph.net

i bet if you had a turtle with you on the train, that would be a good conversation starter. Especially if you where knitting a sweater for the turtle =)

already this is more like the mograph.net that I know and love, but still minus the sarcasm. I am in LA for another few weeks until I return to Denver to ski and pontificate on the webernets.

Anyone in the LA area want to do an LA meetup asap for drinks and a much needed personal meet and greet. I feel like there is nothing better than to put an actual face to the people we talk to on the ole web. We can knit and discuss anti aliasing and women... okay maybe not the anti aliasing part, but the knitting for sure if its scoring chicks for the Monkey!!

:D

EDIT: C.Smith.. just paid attention to your sig for the first time and that is something completely out of the Jack Handy Saturday Night Live old school skits... always wondered that myself. Btw your blog comments are freakin hilarious, where are all the random blog comments you used to have about bad drivers and shit... that was awesome. Hopefully still up somewhere!

And Monkey! that's freakin great.. I have learned long ago to say I make "stuff for TV and film" and leave it at that when it comes to matters of the opposite sex.

Edited by edrhine

I think that back in '03 this forum was new, many of us were new to the industry, which itself was relatively new (thanks to the sudden proliferation of cheap tools and increased processing power that enabled the ambitious to, as Mr. Nick Campbell puts it, "make cool shit") and a synonym for new is novel, and novelty invariably wears off.

In 7 years we grew up, or in the case of Govinda got even older, and the new 22 year olds found a forum that was no longer new and thanks to all the old guys, no longer as fun.

But I don't know about anyone else, although this thread might be an indication, but I'm starting to get the 7 year itch. Not for infidelity – I've already toyed with that, as a part time career writing government propaganda will attest to – but I think I may be eager to watch reels again, talk some shit and maybe even have some fun with what is actually still a pretty cool industry to work in.

Will that translate into a revived mograph.net? I guess only if everyone's got that itch, and are itching to waste countless hours on a pink forum talking nonsense. Because, like others have said, the real draw of mograph.net at its height was that it wasn't a technical forum – it's was just a collection of like minded individuals in relatively small industry who liked to talk trash, drool over good work and... I think is is a key point... dream of having a career in this industry. I think after 7 years many of us actually do have careers in this industry in one form or another, so there's no more dreaming just doing.

Like, I used to bring up a certain buxom starlet in forum posts, but then I actually landed my very own buxom babe a number of years back and that pretty much killed the fun out of dreaming about one day landing a buxom babe. And you don't really want to talk about the awesome buxom babe you landed because no one wants to hear about that.

In summary: I blame everything on Ze Brownie.

I feel the need to comment on this section again for some reason, but I know originally when I found this I was apprehensive about being active because I was new and had nothing to contribute... so I just read and lurked. Then I started to know more and was finishing school with lots of time and contributed a decent amount. Later worked like crazy in a staff position or four and only posted brief comments or technical problems that I had in Cinema. Now I am freelancing and have more time. I realize that while technical questions are great here, there are many other places to have them answered. I would love to see this become even more of an online creative place. There are some of the most talented people in the industry on here every day and as long as we stay active, this can only become something better than is already is (which is freakin awesome or otherwise I would be sleeping rather than on mograph.net after a few intense days of work). I know for myself, I have decide to make sure this year that I take time to comment on reels and showcase sections and even dumb comments on "how do I get good" or "what computer should I buy". Not that my opinion is worth a rat's ass but I want to at least make sure I comment on people's posts, otherwise it creates a dead zone. Who wants to see 198 views on an topic and zero comments.. unless its total crap (which then the old mograph would have bombarded them with that). That is just my thoughts as I try to give back to something that has done a lot for me over the past few years.

I still think we should have another forum section for brainstorming/creative only

and PS I blame the fall of everything, mordor, the JKF assasination, the current economy and all bad karma on Ze Brownie as well.

Thanks for a great forum

and PS I blame the fall of everything, mordor, the JKF assasination, the current economy and all bad karma on Ze Brownie as well.

I kind of miss ZeBrownie. Sure, he was a troll, but he was OUR troll, dammit.

Jesus Christ, I haven't really been around in the past year or two (am I still among the top posters? I'm afraid to check - I was PROUD of that shit). This thread reads like an obituary. I almost teared up when I read C.Smith saying Sao Bento doesn't come around anymore. Even that dude doesn't give a shit anymore? Only a couple years ago I could've sworn that dude was a motherfucking mograph.net robot - no human could've possibly posted that much.

Every time I work on a new reel I fucking dream of coming back to mograph.net and showing it off to all you badass mograph motherfuckers. You bastards better rip me to shreds (and a couple of you noobs better tell me how awesome I am) when I finally update that shit and post it on here. The whole reason I even fucking try to make cool shit at all is so I can eventually get a big 10 page thread on mograph.net like Beaver's reels do. You guys can't stop giving a shit, OR WHY THE FUCK WOULD I GIVE A SHIT?

FUCK!

I remember actually wanting to create a reel at all. Now I think I just haphazardly and half-assedly cram bullshit into my 2006 reel template on the rare occasion I work with someone new and they want to see a reel. And even then it's with the passionless fervor of marriage gone awry, a dry hump hump that's borderline rape. And to think I used to dream of somehow getting on Motionographer's "Cream o' the crop".

Hump hump.

I blame CHENEY.

Jesus Christ, I haven't really been around in the past year or two (am I still among the top posters? I'm afraid to check - I was PROUD of that shit). This thread reads like an obituary. I almost teared up when I read C.Smith saying Sao Bento doesn't come around anymore. Even that dude doesn't give a shit anymore? Only a couple years ago I could've sworn that dude was a motherfucking mograph.net robot - no human could've possibly posted that much.

Every time I work on a new reel I fucking dream of coming back to mograph.net and showing it off to all you badass mograph motherfuckers. You bastards better rip me to shreds (and a couple of you noobs better tell me how awesome I am) when I finally update that shit and post it on here. The whole reason I even fucking try to make cool shit at all is so I can eventually get a big 10 page thread on mograph.net like Beaver's reels do. You guys can't stop giving a shit, OR WHY THE FUCK WOULD I GIVE A SHIT?

FUCK!

Fuckin'-A-right BiggyBoy

I love this place and have visited religiously everyday for years starting back in 2005. I too started to lose my need to come here about a year or 2 ago when my job became really intense and it wouldn't let up. I would be at home to exhausted to log on here and read the newest shit and the next retarded lengthy thread about nothin but good ole fun. Now I live in LA and work a new job with less stress. Which means more time to lurk here at mograph.

Like Beau+++... I want to throw down a new reel and get thrashed. Continue to do it until maybe one day I get my "showcase" turd shifted over to the coveted "reels and portfolio" section. I want to move out of newbie status and have a avatar with a clever gif. I want a goddamn link to a website thats under my witty sig that links to something better than samwelker TV. I want to rip on the next scrilla!!!. Oh wait those can be achieved if I did it on my own. Never mind.

Long live de forum.

C-FU

P.S.

On a serious note.

This is how forums die unless someone keeps the flame going. I helped run a trailer music forum which thrived for a longtime and sparked the wild fire of trailer music being leaked everywhere(if your into that kind of thing). Overtime new forums got built and ours finally shutdown. That place had years of answers of music to almost every movie trailer and commercial that was ever made. Now that shit is gone. Don't let years of great rants, funny shit and knowledge disappear please.

or are increasing sites like mograph.net (maybe the least of the offenders, and a site i load up every damn day) helping to create kind of a stylistic echo chamber which has made lots of new work maybe less exciting both perceptually and maybe actually less rad. the actually less rad bit is not from the dudes rocking it at the higher end still doing rad suff, but counting the thousands of mini-me designers with lame work bringing the average in quality down. making mograph as a medium, less inspiring and maybe sucking some of the energy from mograph.net.

the people here are pretty dope. monovich comes to mind. is he the new govinda, and smith is the new saobento, and adam is the new silatix, and silatix is the new... just kidding

im not that much less interested in this site or the field than i was when i maybe 'peaked' in my mid 20s back when people talked about. i'm still feeling it - just maybe there is also the daunting feeling of not being able to learn every tech

but what is this site and is it dying? maybe our level of truly funny people has gone down and now its just a bunch of grumpy people talking about all the shiny C4D balls there are bouncing around these days

whatever, or as maybe my soul brother killakalllyo would say, "oh well, i'm still making bank"

i just come here to talk shit after work. and to pick up on the gems of knowledge that the generous leave for bums like me. if i was good at what i did, i would not be on this board. which might explain why a lot of the older OPs no longer frequent this site. i've read some of the older threads. it's like a veritable mograph history book this site.

if i was good at what i did, i would not be on this board. which might explain why a lot of the older OPs no longer frequent this site. i've read some of the older threads. it's like a veritable mograph history book this site.

I hear ya there. You know how it goes, the whole "cobbler's kids" analogy. If you're busy working, you don't have much time to devote to the killer demo reel.

Cf

Its seemed like a while since I have been regularly checking up on things here. Either too busy or more content to watch basketball. Since the new year I have been gravitating back to mograph.net to check out what is going on up here. Guess I am longing for the fun banter and creative inspiration of other people making cool shite. Long live our community of people sitting infront of monitors for ungodly amounts of time, trying to point and click our way to make things that are new, interesting and fun.

Time to get some whelk tacos and get back to work making paint drips. I think I will throw in a deer for old times sake.

Cheer brothers and sisters!