Sign in to follow this  
dreamplayhouse

Best video quality and low file size from AE ??

Hello, I just bought a digital camera that shoots 1080p. I exported the video at half the size with Sorenson3 compression and it looks good but it's 150mb and when I upload to the server it takes forever to view the quicktime file. What do you suggest for best quality/file size settings out of AE CS5?

Yes but colors look washed out.. I just tried Sorenson3, set to 80 quality and my file went from 150mb to 17mb and it looks the same to me. So this might be the best Sorenson3 as the colors don't get washed out.

Thanks

H264 has been the best for me. Are you on a Mac? If you are, there is a notorious bug in Quicktime that washes out the colors when encoding to H264. There is a fix however. Read here:

http://mograph.net/board/index.php?showtopic=22408

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm on a PC.. I guess I'll have to purchase Quicktime Pro and try that fix for washed out colors.

Thanks!

Hmmm... I think that bug is supposed to be limited to Macs. If you're having issues with colors being washed out on a PC, then I'm not sure that is the fix.

Hmmm... I think that bug is supposed to be limited to Macs. If you're having issues with colors being washed out on a PC, then I'm not sure that is the fix.

gotta love quicktime.

The Windows Quicktime bug fix:

if your colors are washed out,

1. Open the file in QT

2. Window>"Show Movie Properties"

3. Select "Video Track" (just highlight it)

4. Click "Visual Settings" tab

5. Use the "Transparency" drop-down to select "Straight Alpha"

6. Close window, and "File>Save".

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm on a PC.. I guess I'll have to purchase Quicktime Pro and try that fix for washed out colors.

Thanks!

Buying Quicktime will not solve this error on either platform.

Edited by misanthrope.

Yes but colors look washed out.. I just tried Sorenson3, set to 80 quality and my file went from 150mb to 17mb and it looks the same to me. So this might be the best Sorenson3 as the colors don't get washed out.

Thanks

If you're using sorenson squeeze to compress your file sorenson 3 is actually a really strong codec.

Most people abandoned it after H264 came along, but I'd say quality to data rate it's the best thing around.

I refuse to output to quicktime H264 unless the client specifically requests it (which they usually do, unfortunately). I have tried 3 different supposed 'fixes' for the QT gamma shift on the PC platform. None of them work. I've found that the mp4 container is your best bet when working with H264. I've read that using the x264 codec works with QT with no gamma shift on the mac, but I haven't found an easy way to do the same for the PC.

Edited by Jordan Cain

I typically render to ProRes 422, if on a Mac with Final Cut installed, or to Motion JPEG-B (yes, that depreciated codec), if I am on Windows.

So this gives you a big fat file.

Then, open that file in Quicktime Pro and export to H264. After Effects H264 output is not as efficient as Quicktime's (I don't know why, but conduct your own tests if you like).

Then you can use that washed out color restore technique as mentioned above on the resulting H264 file. The technique does work on Windows and Mac as far as I can tell.

This leaves you with an archive quality output file and a postable/portable output file.

Edited by Atom