Sign in to follow this  
Guest renascent

metamorph

Guest renascent

thought id share a little again, in this case a scene in progress... :)

meta1.jpg

meta2.jpg

meta3.jpg

meta4.jpg

c&c always welcome.

its abstracted architecture, in case you are were wondering ;)

Edited by renascent

Guest govinda

That's gorgeous. Your highlights are hot as the sun; I could tell it's yours from a mile away. You bloomed those speculars up in AE maybe? Your text animation is mirrored by your geometry reveals, sweet. Are some of those booleans? I think I see little shards before the fan-blades start appearing.

I'll do the little metal Arjen Robbenses to run around on those fields. Reasonable rates!

I would've thrown out the encomia yesterday but I'm trying to hold back from having every single post on this board.

Guest renascent

haha, thanx man :)

everything is mesh modeled, even the abstract shapes.

specular is AE, magic bullit looksuit

Edited by renascent

Guest govinda
everything is mesh modeled, even the abstract shapes.

19537[/snapback]

Really? I don't know what they call them in Max, but I was convinced those middle shards had the look of lofts. Twist two splines, loft them, then maybe deform... Great tip on Magic Bullet *tucks in pocket to examine later when nobody's looking*

Guest nextseason

Awesome as usual. I think one thing that really drew me too it was your pallette, I love your choice in colors.

Thanx for the magic bullet tip, I agree, those highlights are john blazin!

Guest renascent

thanx guys, still 13 hours on the render clock (23 hours elapsed) and it should be done, hitting 1:20 minutes of total play length :-)

Guest joconnell

Heya Joost - kickin stuff as usual.

What works really nicely in 3ds and other programs is if you stick a falloff map into both the specular and diffuse, and have a normal copy of the texture for the facing slot and the same tex with a slightly higher output value in the side slot you can get a really nice warm edge light to thing and it makes the specular bloom look a lot more natural - I use it a lot on material when I'm trying to get a nice "golden hour" look to things.

Looks great - can't wait to see the finished thing!

Guest Nhowe

Solid work man.. when you say mesh model do you really sit and model all the abstracts out, or is it accellerated by a bevel/extrude type process?

on a side note, you did some work with GUNshop right?

just wondering if you worked with Chris K.

Nate

Guest renascent

thanx mate, ive extruded allong splines in some parts for the shapes, the organic shape is simply a smoothed result from the edged shapes you see.

im not sure anymore who i worked with at gunshop, im bad ;)

the download is 22mb now btw

Guest tim_irus

truly some kickass shit ass always

I love the feel that its al total chaos but it stil seems stylized and consistent.. kinda :unsure:

Guest complete2

i dont get it.

im sorry, but is there a purpose to all that stuff? (im sure you've heard this a million times before) i see a fan thing that looks like it might be part of an airplane, but other than that, thats all i get from this piece. is this supposed to be a graphic representation of an airplane wreck? is there supposed to be a story? or is this just "graphic diahrhea"?

no offence, it is beautiful.

i love it, but i just dont see the point of it.

it feels to me like your relying on the music to do your job for you (unless you created the music too....but thats a whole different forum). thats whats evoking the emotional aspect to this for me. not your visuals.

leo davinci created great pieces of work, but it wasn't just a bunch of abstract shit. there was a purpose.

maybe i'm just missing something, but i've personally felt this way about your work since i discovered you back when i was in art school in '98 (or 99, i cant remember exactly)

Guest renascent

thats cool man i appreciate your honesty.

metamorph was created in 2 days, metamorph is the name of a building that will be made, so the grow was applied for that reason, building up a piece of abstract architecture, the figures in the end are two people, once again abstracted, a symbol of unity, the random words that appear are the key values of the building.

all just to serve the opening of a larger presentation.

i was asked to make this based on my nike instore movie, a floatating structure.

if you ever wondered were the "3d abstracts" derived from its from abstract architecture, its even a course that gets taught in school, check some archi books if you get a chance in your local bookstore.

Guest paccollective
i dont get it.

im sorry, but is there a purpose to all that stuff? (im sure you've heard this a million times before) i see a fan thing that looks like it might be part of an airplane, but other than that, thats all i get from this piece. is this supposed to be a graphic representation of an airplane wreck? is there supposed to be a story? or is this just "graphic diahrhea"?

Complete2 maybe you could illuminate us to your process? I could pretty much apply that same comment to your work.

And by the way, I think both of you, Renascent and Complete2, create excellent inspiring stuff.

Edited by paccollective

Guest igorschmigor
no offence, it is beautiful.

i love it, but i just dont see the point of it.

20144[/snapback]

Actually i think beauty in itself is already enough of an excuse to spend two days in trying to achieve it (2 days!!! Renascent is always so unbelievably efficient).

There are some abstracted stadiums too by the way. I'm surprised you saw the fans but not the stadiums.

Also, like paccolective said, your reel seems very much the same: aesthetic without much meaning behind it.

I'm not mad about metamorph myself, but i'd be awfully proud if i had made it. Something about Joost's colours and compositions just feels right.

Guest govinda

The fact that I hate 'abstract 3d' might've been the first thing I posted about eighteen months ago. Kiddies with a 3d app, a bunch of transparent shards, a hot explosion in the middle, tendrils flying out and the rest that we all know so well...

But Joost's stuff isn't graphic diarrhea (love that term) like that stuff. There's always some nuggets of meaning in his work. Frank Gehry's shapes always come to mind--what look like meaningless bent metal comes to resemble angel's wings, or Liebeskind's WTC building, which I'm embarrassed to say I didn't notice for a long time echoes the uplifted arm of the Statue of Liberty. The stadium kinda recalls the piece's origins in Nike work. The fans remind me of a jet also, which implies liftoff, explosive energy...I'm getting far afield. It'd knock me over like a train if I saw Joost do something completely different, like use matted non-reflective shapes or toon-shaded cityscapes with paint splatters. I bet he'd so something in that vein, if he ever broke style to do it, that'd just throw us all down.

If I got a job like this, I'd be looking for what kind of building was coming, what its function was, then work with that to find elements. The thought of a building transforming in the piece itself is something I hope I'd get to, but I can't be sure.

I peeked at Josh's complete2 work also and thought exactly the same thing as Pac, similar and absolutely killer stuff. The print design blows me away.

Guest MBX

personally, i find it a bit boring, but that's no offense. it just means it's not the style i dig. just have a little phobia to anything that looks too "digital" or too "computer-generated-kind-of-futuristic-abstract" or what govinda said about "kiddies with a 3d app & functions". nevertheless there is some stuff from ren i like.

and no doubt it can be done in 2 days but i wonder why people that claim to be fast have not more stuff to show. (pointing especially at those amazing 1-hour 3d models/ pictures that some people do)

Guest igorschmigor
It'd knock me over like a train if I saw Joost do something completely different, like use matted non-reflective shapes or toon-shaded cityscapes with paint splatters. I bet he'd so something in that vein, if he ever broke style to do it, that'd just throw us all down.

20200[/snapback]

I think he did that in his Nike Verona piece (no paint splatters, but wireframes over toonshaded cities and characters). He does try a few styles.

Guest govinda
I think he did that in his Nike Verona piece (no paint splatters, but wireframes over toonshaded cities and characters). He does try a few styles.

20204[/snapback]

:P You're right. The true reel emperor shows up the faker!

That piece is so strange. Look how the blimp comes through the sky at 4:03. It's a true editor preview used as a final piece, with the splines, the little plus-signs that indicate particles, all the isoparms and wires, the flicker on the ground from two cospatial planes.

Guest invisibleelement

That is a very nice piece! I guess I share the same sentiments with a few when I say that it really isn't my style, but... I can appreciate it and recognize the craft and technical artistry in all of your work. This as well as other 3D works blow me away and leave me thinking ... dang.

Anyway, nice work... keep it up!

cheers

Guest renascent

thanx guys for all your feedback, find it very interesting. coincidently was talking with my girlfriend about it how frustrating it is to break out of a certain pattern in the way one works, style, effects... its annoying once you feel your falling back on a bag of tricks youve learned, its a tough process coming up with new ideas to tell a story or the visual approach, etc..., but im working on it.

being in the motion industry for just over 2 years, i have a long long way to go :)