Sign in to follow this  
FlipSwitch

Macbook air and AE? Plus new company name????

Names:

In Soho, London they use the following formula c/a=n or Colour + Animal = Name, or the more popular Adjective + Random Noun = Name

As for machine elves, it sounds like you've been doing DMT, so why not just "DMT". I like it. I see it formed of welded steel outside your entrance. D M T yeahhhhhhhh

ha thanks for the morning laugh, love it

Not to sound like a dick but if you cant think of a company name for yourself that is probably the least of your worries.

The name should be personal and have meaning to you. If you just pick a name on coolness when it loses its appeal you will be stuck with a gimmicky name. Think of something important to you or that got you into this industry in the first place and skew it to sound like a business.

The is completely retarded and I'll probably be crucified for it, but I recently got a new laptop and a fuckin love it (mostly).

A few caveats:

- the biggie: it's not a Mac. yes, I made the switch (back).

- it can run AE and C4D well enough in a clutch, but it's no dedicated work machine.

- it's convertible multi-touch/wacom enable table PC

- it's made by HP

Basically I was interested in getting the iPad because Apple is a marketing monster and makes me want everything they make. Upon deep inspection and introspection I realized I'd be spending a whole lot of money on what amounts to a toy. I couldn't even PRETEND to do work on that giant iPhone (and I already own a regular sized iPhone). This lead me to researching alternatives, which lead me to the HP Touchsmart Tm2. After much research and a last minute "fuck it" I bought the thing.

Here's what I like:

- it's a multi touch tablet. not quite as slick as apple's implementation, but pretty damn cool. I use it in tablet mode 95% of the time, and multi-touch (vs Wacom) most of the time for casual use.

- it runs real apps (Adobe Suite, C4D)

- drawing directly on the screen with the Wacom is amazing, makes me desperate for a Cintiq. Watch out for the included Wacom pen though, get the Axiotron Studio Pen from ebay, it way upgrades the pressure sensitivity to usable levels (no tilt or rotation detection unfortunately).

- it's not iPad light, but at 4lbs it's way lighter than my old 15inch MacBook Pro and with a 12" screen it's easier to port around

- tons of inputs/outputs (unlike iPad and Macbook air)

- runs cool and quiet. my old Macbook Pro would nearly burn my lap.

- decent battery life – about 4.5 hours

Things I don't like:

- Windows 7 is better than I thought, but it's still Windows wonky

- HP shitware preloaded

- Stupid button on that side that toggles wifi and is really easy to accidentally hit

- edit: totally ghey roxy-girl inspired etching on the top of the laptop. luckily it can't be seen when in tablet mode

To keep it under $1000 ($800 to be precise) I went with a very base model (i3 processor, integrated graphics) but you can get it up to an i7 with switchable ATI graphics. But even at this low-end it more than meets my needs for laptop. If you're looking for something that's more of a work supplement, digital sketch book, notetaker, kindle reader and emergency/on-the-road Adobe/C4D capable machine... you might want to take a look (if you're willing to use Windows). It's a pretty fun machine.

As for a business name, how about something really edgy like: Bush Brought Down Teh Towers

Edited by Fred Camino

flippedswitch

For what its worth, while I reeeeeallly want this laptop, I have been seriously eyeing this laptop due to the price point and how well it stacks up as a suitable mobile workhorse.

I looked at that HP workstation too. I would wait for the SandyBridge version of it if you are gonna shell out that cash. Check www.anandtech.com for great comparisons of different laptops and chipsets (directed at the original poster, as you have already done your homework).

The new HPs (or Asus or whatever) with the SandyBridge chips are probably the best performance for the money right now. MacBook Pros should be updated soon, if you want to stay Mac.

I have an Asus G73 JH Quad-Core (8 thread), with 8 MB of RAM and an ATI Radeon HD 5870 GFX Card. It's a beast...but it stomps the living crap out of any crappy MacBook PRO.... for half the price...

-Ben

8 whole megs? Wow man, your rig must fly/

I have an Asus G73 JH Quad-Core (8 thread), with 8 MB of RAM and an ATI Radeon HD 5870 GFX Card. It's a beast...but it stomps the living crap out of any crappy MacBook PRO.... for half the price...

-Ben

How is that working out for you? I see that its a 1.7GHz processor (I would overclock it a bit anyway..) but think it would really only come into play while rendering with that video card in there...

I'd love to hear more. I can't find any reviews of how the software we use performs on those models.

8 whole megs? Wow man, your rig must fly/

Heh...yeah I decided that the 8GB it came with was too much so I downgraded to an 8 MB simm :)

It is a pretty decent machine...especially for the $1399 price tag. Keeps up with almost anything I need to do on the road. And at home, or work, makes for a nice little render helper. I haven't overclocked it yet, gonna wait a bit since it voids the warranty. There are better out there, but for the price you really can't go wrong.

-Ben