Sign in to follow this  
Gorillasandtoast

HELP!! need Cinema 4d product modeling advice

So I'm learning Cinema 4D and am practicing product modeling. I'm currently modeling a simple hand held device. As you can see from my crappy model, I'm having trouble in creating these raised edges/surfaces. My inital plan was the create a duplicate of my current model and some how use the knife tool or a spline in which I can subtract/cut out areas. So far this is driving me nuts! Anybody have any suggestions on how to do this? Sorry for my ignorance! Thanks!

I always find it helpful to start blocking in the main shapes at a very low poly stage (obviously, I can't tell what your polys look like, but for that shape it should be little more than a box with a few extra loops). Then, I'd go to the top view and start placing points around that curve you want - regardless of topology atm; you can always remove verts and clean up afterward (this was the hardest thing for me to grasp, I always wanted the shape to be defined while I kept appropriate topo). Anyway, that's how I'd approach it. Also, don't forget to model just half so you can mirror it later and save yourself some work.

Edit: The other way I may approach it is model that raised center piece first (with the polygon tool or a plane or splines) and then build/connect the 'inner' sides. I'd also build that piece where the spheres are separately, then attach to the base + clean up.

Edited by monstro

if you're using a HN mesh, then try working out that basic shape (the top curves) by making some loop cuts with the knife tool and arranging your points accordingly. Then try weighting your edges to tighten them up. (also making poly cuts very close together will also tighten up edges -as will doing an extrude on selected polys.) This kind of model can definitely be a pain in the butt, seeing as it has some nice rounded curves and hard defined edges. Lots of pitfalls.

Sign up at C4D Cafe and ask on their forums. Asking about modeling techniques on a motion graphics board makes about as much sense as asking about 3D tracking or matte painting. Sure, some people here have done it but it's hardly an efficient way to go about finding answers.

Talking about jerks...

RTFM...probably the best advice this guy's ever gonna get. the jerk part was in reference to jerky. much like dried, cured meat, this gentleman needed a saliva like catalyst (my advice in this case) in order to digest the nourishing proteins inherent in himself. in other words, i'm telling him to believe in himself.

and yes base80...i do believe in myself.

the jerk part was in reference to jerky. much like dried, cured meat, this gentleman needed a saliva like catalyst (my advice in this case) in order to digest the nourishing proteins inherent in himself. in other words, i'm telling him to believe in himself.

Thanks for explaning that, I was always under the impression along with most of the English speaking world that it ment this " http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jerk - Noun. An idiot or stupid person. An insensitive, selfish, ignorant, cocky person who is inconsiderate and does stupid things."

In the C4D help there is a whole bunch of really good tutorials about all

kinds of modeling techniques,if you work through them you'll have a

good basis to build upon. Also http://www.vertex-pusher.com/ has a

tutorial set all about modeling in C4D which is comprehensive and cheap.

http://c4dcafe.com and http://forums.cgsociety.org/ are good places

for specific modeling problems.

mograph.net is not.

Edited by tezuka