Sign in to follow this  
Guest 211

Justin Harder, animated illustrations process ?

Guest 211

Hi to everyone,

First message for me on this board, I think everyone knows http://www.justinharder.com and his incredible demoreel.

Does any one have an idea on the process, to get this animated vector illustrations feel ?

Do you think it is a Illustrator drawing from video, per frame, using sequence layer for animations ?

A kind of script with:

- DV cam + blue screen shooting

- Black and white Levels to isolate color range

- Colorize levels with flat colors

- Flatten all layer.

Another process ?

Do you know some tutorial for that ??

thanks for your replies..

fred

Guest states

have you tried using Wildform Flix Pro to process your video ?

it'll render it perfectly vectorised.

Guest 211

cool!

I used Flix to make JPEG-sequence movies for flash, before the release of Flash MX, and didn't know Wildflix... I think I'll try it

Is there some better settings ( like Trace=1 pixel in flash), to make sweet curves ? But their examples with timoty leary are probably for web streaming.

Are its shape are swetter than streamline ?

Guest firemind

I checked out the reel again and I can't believe I posted that in the reels section as just 'nice reel'. But then maybe I watched an older reel?

Anyway, looks to me like loads and loads of rotoscoped elements and cut up video, layered up and switched on and off over time. Some 3D here and there and some color manipulation of video. Not technically difficult to do, just very very timeconsuming.

Flix does indeed vectorize video, but as you can see by the examples on the site, what you get is a lot of frame jitter due to every frame being converted differently. With Harder's stuff, everything remains clean because he uses static shapes that don't change shape over time. The animation is in the switching on and off of elements and building up images that way.

Guest 211

Yes it's the second reel.

I think also that there is a long work in illustrator. Mixed with some 3D, using the same colors, the drawing seems less static. 3/5 steps animation (like the hands on many sequences) seems to be enough to make the illusion. They probably use the layer to sequence fonction of AE et voila !

Thank for all !

Guest govinda

Wow, he says he doesn't use any 3D apps, but there are clearly 3D pieces on there. The piece with the moving boxes that transitions from an architectural camera (we c4d users would call it the 'gentleman' projection) to a normal projection was a cool move that just isn't photoshop and illustrator thrown into AE for 'sequencing.'

And how much roto can one person stand to do? He must be borderline goofy after all that mask work. I can't wait to see how his work progresses.

In another case of someone not liking labels, hearkening back to the 'fun with business card' days of the Internet craze (remember the 'Chief Fun Officer'?) he calls himself a 'sequence designer.' If you're good, and he REALLY is, you can call yourself a macramé designer if you want. But if you're a motion graphic designer, you're a motion graphic designer, and anything else is a distinction without a difference. Humor him, he's good and deserves his own names for anything he wants. Me, I call a computer a 'lollipop' and a beer a 'taco.' It could catch on.

Guest 211

Hi, thanks for the link..

govinda, flat or one shade level roto can be done in a couple of hour, after extract all key-image to be re-drawn. Animation skills can help to choose the right steps.

The harder isn't to plan your job to make only what you need and not waste your time, no ??

outch, poor english sorry..

Guest jasfish

I thought it was a pretty good insight into how he works. Looks like "days" of photoshop/illustrator work .. but not a ton of after effects tricks. Just a lot of layers or "sequences" as he calls them. Pretty time-consuming, but the results speak for themselves. Very cool.

Any idea on where he's based out of? Don't remember seeing that in the interview.

jasfish