Sign in to follow this  
renderedhero

Py4d and XML

Hey everyone-

I have an XML doc of about 50,000 data points of information mapped over global longitude/latitude. I have been asked to find a solution (if one exists) to be able to import the data from the XML doc and map it particles in C4D over a sphere. My first instinct tells me that if it can be done it would be through Py4D. However, I have zero experience with Py4D or C.O.F.F.E.E. The only language I'm even remotely familiar with is AS2.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know if it can even be done?

Thanks!

-Brian

I have an XML doc of about 50,000 data points of information mapped over global longitude/latitude. I have been asked to find a solution (if one exists) to be able to import the data from the XML doc and map it particles in C4D over a sphere. My first instinct tells me that if it can be done it would be through Py4D. However, I have zero experience with Py4D or C.O.F.F.E.E. The only language I'm even remotely familiar with is AS2.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know if it can even be done?

It should be doable in Py4D without too much grief provided you know or are willing to learn Python, or find a developer to do it.

It should be doable in Py4D without too much grief provided you know or are willing to learn Python, or find a developer to do it.

I have solved this problem in the past without either.

I'm not sure I'm smart enough to learn python and relying on developers can take a looooong time. ;)

What you CAN do is simply reformat your XML data to CSV data and pull the locations in through the structure manager.

-m

Edited by the_Monkey

I'm gonna say it again, but there are thousands of point-cloud import scripts for all sorts of 3D apps. Blender was particularly useful when Radiohead released their LiDAR data to the world; it had some incredibly reliable ways to interpret the data.

Point Cloud Skinner

This is a python script, alas for Blender, but Blender exports in all the exchange formats you could want, possibly someone has written a C4D exporter too.

I didn't know you could pull CSV into Cinema, but converting your data from lat/long to CSV array could be either really easy or the biggest ballache ever.

I have solved this problem in the past without either.

I'm not sure I'm smart enough to learn python and relying on developers can take a looooong time. ;)

What you CAN do is simply reformat your XML data to CSV data and pull the locations in through the structure manager.

-m

Sorry for taking sooo long to respond. I apparently don't have any prefs set up to alert me when someone responds. I will fix that now. Thanks for the responses. I do work with a bunch of developers who are more or less bored in their day-to-day tasks. So I found one that has some experience with Python. He was able to mod a script he found online that worked. The good news is that it did in fact work. The bad news is that I wasn't able to import even close to the amount of data that I had. By the time I received final compilation of data, I had just over a million points to try and map. The max number of points I was able to import was around 15,000. When I applied geometry to the points, it was so taxing on my system that it was basically unusable. I assigned a primate sphere with 6 sides (and the render perfect checkbox checked) to each point.

. This is a solution that I'm still interested in pursuing. We already produced a version of what I'm trying to achieve in flash with papervision. (seen here in the GiST section: http://www.ciscovnipulse.com/ ) They are data speed tests taken from smartphones all over the world. Our site shows results from these tests in close to real-time. Our app and the site have been up about a year, and we want to take all of the data we've collected and create a sort of heat map to show density of tests ran as well as the results from the tests in a nicely rendered graphic/animation that you just can't achieve in Flash/PV3D.

I really appreciate all your responses! I will update my profile settings to make sure I receive alerts going forward!

Thanks again!

-rH