Sign in to follow this  
Tony M

New Reel and Web Site

MayoFlux.tv

This is a new company in the Pittsburgh area and we are trying to make our mark. We want to do it right so any feed back or advice would be greatly appreciated. About 90% of the site is complete; The demo reel is complete and on the home page. We chose Vimeo Plus as our video hosting service.

Thanks, Best Regards

Tony

The site looks good at first glance. Clean and easy to read. Good to see your reel right up front. I get really annoyed when people turn off the volume bar on Vimeo though. That portfolio page seems really bare to me just having the images up there. I know you said it's 90% there, so maybe this is something you're working on. It'd be useful to see at least a client/project line under or above each so at least you know what you're getting into if you click it. Also, your logo in the top left corner doesn't take you back to the home page. I can see arguments for removing that particular functionality, but I think it's really important in this case, especially since your reel is on the home page. It should be SUPER easy to get back there to watch at any point. Right now it's not.

Just my $.02

R

A couple web notes:

It's really, really annoying to have text as images, and there's absolutely no excuse for it. And it's all over the site! If you want a particular font, look into using CSS's font-face property. You can also browse the Google Font Directory or TypeKit.

The logo in the top-left of each page should be a link back to the home page.

It doesn't feel like the site has any sort of horizontal grid. Nothing lines up, and the blue bar on the bottom doesn't feel like it's centered against anything. You really need to establish a base grid to keep everything consistant, instead of just eyeballing where the text and images should be on each page.

The portfolio grid is spaced much, much too widely. It makes everything feel out of place.

None of the pages have titles -- they're all named things like "New Page 1" and "companyreelpage".

Everything is flat HTML right now, right? You really need to look into putting this into a content management system like Textpattern, WordPress, or even something as simple as Indexhibit. It'd help a lot with keeping a consistant design through all the pages, and will make updating the site much, much easier in the future. Right now, a simple change to your header means rebuilding absolutely every page on the site.

(Is every bit of text on every page an image? That's really, really bad. Like, you're causing me physical pain.)

Okay, I just looked at your source code, and this is all starting to make a bit of sense. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you just made every page in Photoshop, then exported it using Adobe's often-renamed-image-to-website function, correct? It explains why the code is horrendous, it uses markup that would get you shot by any reputable developer, and why there's a huge lack of consistency.

If you want to be taken seriously, build a real website. Especially if you're claiming you do web development / design services. What you have right now just isn't passable.

Hey Aaron, Thanks. We did do that just to get that font. Everything is an image. I'll look into that service from Google.

The client and portfolio page i'm thinking about combining into one so yeah that's where the 10% is left undone.