Sign in to follow this  
Tracey

Cloth tag - fix points (C4D)

Hi all, I am relatively new to C4D and am trying to create 4 corners of paper folding outwards from center, I can achieve this using a bend, but I need it to be more realistic (ie. the paper bending rather than stiff), so I tried using a cloth tag, this works great on one polygon, but I can't seem to apply 'fix points' to a different polygons, they pick up the cloth tag from the first. Has any one got any ideas how to get round this? any help much appreciated thanks :D

Hi all, I am relatively new to C4D and am trying to create 4 corners of paper folding outwards from center, I can achieve this using a bend, but I need it to be more realistic (ie. the paper bending rather than stiff), so I tried using a cloth tag, this works great on one polygon, but I can't seem to apply 'fix points' to a different polygons, they pick up the cloth tag from the first. Has any one got any ideas how to get round this? any help much appreciated thanks :D

I'm not sure that cloth is the best way to accomplish this, but since you've already started...

When you use "fix points"... you're fixing the points to global space, which many times isn't ideal for animators.

The preferred option is to use a Belt Tag (or multiple Belt Tags) to fix your cloth points to another piece (or several pieces) of geometry.

-m

I'm not sure that cloth is the best way to accomplish this, but since you've already started...

When you use "fix points"... you're fixing the points to global space, which many times isn't ideal for animators.

The preferred option is to use a Belt Tag (or multiple Belt Tags) to fix your cloth points to another piece (or several pieces) of geometry.

-m

Hi, thanks for your quick answer, I understand what you're saying, and will give it a go on Monday, if you have a better idea of the way to do it, then I'm all ears (as long as it's not too complicated), I really am finding my feet at the min and don't mind trying out different options. Thanks again, big help to me :rolleyes:

Paper using Cloth Example Scene (Cinema 4D r12 Studio)

Here's an example of how you could do it - I think the monkey is right, as ever, that it mightn't be the best way to approach this. Relying on physical simulation to do animation work often costs more time than if you'd animated frame-by-frame since the outset.

The Belt tag has several pre-conditions upon which it either works or does nothing of use at all. If you spend weeks finding out like I just have, you'll know it's no fun waking up to yet another day of cloth sims way after you wanted the job to be done.

I'll go into more detail later, maybe in a video tutorial. Hope this helps!

Edited by iline

Hi, thanks for your quick answer, I understand what you're saying, and will give it a go on Monday, if you have a better idea of the way to do it, then I'm all ears (as long as it's not too complicated), I really am finding my feet at the min and don't mind trying out different options. Thanks again, big help to me :rolleyes:

Seems like a swell place for joints (but I'm particularly fond of joints).

Probably not much easier for a beginner, but definitely more controllable/predictable.

-m

Pose Mixer or Morph Tag's are a reasonable option.

I would definitely favor Morph Tags though since they allow you to specify a rotational axis.

-m

Hi all, thanks for all the options you've given me to try, will give them all a go, I'm sure I'll learn a lot from them all (and pull a few hairs out!) will let you know how I get on :D

Hi all, thanks for all the options you've given me to try, will give them all a go, I'm sure I'll learn a lot from them all (and pull a few hairs out!) will let you know how I get on :D

Hi all

All your information was really helpful, and gave me ideas for other things. I ended up doing it with 2 bends, it gave me the effect I needed and was simple to control and apply to bigger pages.

Cheers ;)