Sign in to follow this  
levante

AE CS5 and Trapcode Form

Hi everybody,

i'm having a strange behavior in AE CS5: as soon as i use Trapcode Form, the undo function doesn't work anymore. First i thought the project or comp might be broken but the same happens in a new project / comp. Did anybody else run across this problem?

I'm on a MacPro 2x2,8 quad, 20 Gig RAM, OS 10.6.6, AE 10.01.19, OpenGL disabled (as always)

I had this problem on a project I've been working on the past week, although I didn't realize the problem was with Form. I thought I was going crazy- all of the sudden, undo wouldn't work and the history filled up with 'Undo Change Value'. After restarting AE a few times, then my Mac (10.6.6), the problem still persisted. Good to know you traced it back to Form, hopefully Trapcode & RG will be releasing a long awaited update.

I had this problem on a project I've been working on the past week, although I didn't realize the problem was with Form. I thought I was going crazy- all of the sudden, undo wouldn't work and the history filled up with 'Undo Change Value'. After restarting AE a few times, then my Mac (10.6.6), the problem still persisted. Good to know you traced it back to Form, hopefully Trapcode & RG will be releasing a long awaited update.

I was able to replicate the problem on another Mac as well. Could someone try this on Windows or a different Version of OSX (Our Macs are all on the same OS Version)?

I just submitted a support ticket to RG to see if they are aware of the issue- I'll let you know as soon as I find something out

Thanks - i was just about to file a bug report as well...

I had this problem in the past and contacted RG about it. Here's the report I sent them:

When I try to RAM preview an animation where Form is used, the RAM preview doesn't play, and it doesn't save the RAM preview. It'll look like it's loading it, but once it reaches the end of my Work Area, it just stops and doesn't play back and the Green bar indicating that it is stored in RAM goes away.

Also, if I try to move keyframes on the Form layer, they shoot off to the left or right and not where I want them to go, and instead of letting me drag them around, they keep acting like I have released my mouse click. So it creates a whole bunch of things in my Undo list saying "Undo Change Value" or "Undo Keyframe Animation." Basically, these problems are making it practically unusable.

Here's a screen capture I took showing the problem: http://www.mricks.com/TrapcodeFormProblem.mov

I got this in response:

I had a conversation with QA about this issue and this is a known issue with imported projects from CS4/3. Our presets are also from CS4/3 which is why you are experiencing this when you apply a preset. If you start a project from scratch in CS5 you will not run into this issue.

How pressing of an issue is this for you? We have a fix but it needs to be tested before we release it. I have attached your support case to the bug so that when there is a fix you will be notified.

That response is from July. I haven't heard anything else since then, so I'm not sure where they'll release a fix for it.

I had this problem in the past and contacted RG about it. Here's the report I sent them:

When I try to RAM preview an animation where Form is used, the RAM preview doesn't play, and it doesn't save the RAM preview. It'll look like it's loading it, but once it reaches the end of my Work Area, it just stops and doesn't play back and the Green bar indicating that it is stored in RAM goes away.

Also, if I try to move keyframes on the Form layer, they shoot off to the left or right and not where I want them to go, and instead of letting me drag them around, they keep acting like I have released my mouse click. So it creates a whole bunch of things in my Undo list saying "Undo Change Value" or "Undo Keyframe Animation." Basically, these problems are making it practically unusable.

Same problems here - except the preview issue. I'm gonna run a test from scratch tomorrow - i often use one of their presets (or one of my custom ones) as a starting point, so i'm not sure if i already tried it.

Going to send them a bug report as well. Maybe they're gonna hurry up fixing this bug if they get more complaints. It's been quite a while since july...