Sign in to follow this  
florio

For those of you who are trying to break into freelancing - read this

Hey folks,

Lately I've been getting some e-mails about this so instead of trying to solve the worlds problems one e-mail at a time, I decided to write a small article about it.

SO here ya go ... my take (plus some other designers) on the primary steps required to get freelance work (or least point you in the right direction) ... anyone who is a successful freelancer - I would love it if you guys chimed in and filled in the many gaps I didn't cover

To those new to the game ... enjoy!

http://tumblr.com/xbl1ehtyp4

Great article Florio!

As an up and comer I always appreciate thoughtful posts like this.

I, and I'm sure most people on here, can relate that craigslist can be a nightmare when looking for work. In your post you mentioned Mandy, Behance and Motionographer as being great places to look.

What are some of the other online job databases you recommend looking into?

how to be a successful freelancer...

don't suck.

people think "oh i can't find work because i'm not going to a certain event" or "because i don't know this or that person".

BULL

SHIT

the reason you're not finding work is because of one simple fact - YOU SUCK.

so how do you start finding work as a freelance designer? stop sucking.

and how do you stop sucking?

R

T

F

M

Being a great person to work with and be able to back up what you sold the client goes a long way. Even today, referrals are everything.

Edited by AromaKat

Being a great person to work with and be able to back up what you sold the client goes a long way. Even today, referrals are everything.

referrals mean dick if you suck. nobody is going to vouch for you and risk ruining their reputation if you suck. stop sucking and RTFM.

being cool to work with and being able to convince clients they're not getting robbed are rendered meaningless if you suck.

1st step - don't suck

2nd step - get a job

3rd step - ?

4th step - PROFIT

referrals mean dick if you suck. nobody is going to vouch for you and risk ruining their reputation if you suck. stop sucking and RTFM.

being cool to work with and being able to convince clients they're not getting robbed are rendered meaningless if you suck.

1st step - don't suck

2nd step - get a job

3rd step - ?

4th step - PROFIT

pimp_hand1.jpg

yeah, i know plenty of people who don't suck and RTFM, yet can't get any work.

being pleasant to work with is a big point. no matter how good you are.

i don't think killkill is a freelancer.

Btw great article. Easy read, makes sense. Gona be in NYC in early may, good to see that the media industry hits the bars, will make it easier to find em =)

yeah, i know plenty of people who don't suck and RTFM, yet can't get any work.

being pleasant to work with is a big point. no matter how good you are.

i don't think killkill is a freelancer.

Btw great article. Easy read, makes sense. Gona be in NYC in early may, good to see that the media industry hits the bars, will make it easier to find em =)

no vozzz i don't freelance. i pimp.

and good luck at the bars. who wouldn't like to be patronized by a total stranger talking about god knows what after 12 hours of sitting in front of two blinding displays.

@killkill, not sure what you are talking about, who's patronizing?

if your talking about me being condescending to you, didn't mean it that way, although i can see how it could look like that, now that i read over it. I just remember you saying you where a teacher somewhere. I think, maybe i got you confused with someone else.

pimp_hand1.jpg

AromaKat - your right referrals are everything ... it's easier for studios to give you a shot if someone can at least vouch and say ya don't suck haha

hyp3 - this is so fitting

the_Monkey - i wish it was that easy haha

vozzz - thanks for the support duder ... hey lemme know when your in NYC ... I'll be down for a drink hehe

killkillakillyo - your bluntness is appreciated ... but you are right ... if you suck, you get no work (still trying to figure step 3 - its a tricky bastard)

Cheers

Great article Florio!

As an up and comer I always appreciate thoughtful posts like this.

I, and I'm sure most people on here, can relate that craigslist can be a nightmare when looking for work. In your post you mentioned Mandy, Behance and Motionographer as being great places to look.

What are some of the other online job databases you recommend looking into?

Novus4D I didn't forget about you ... I have a bunch of sites saved on my home computer (thank goodness because I can never remember them haha), when I get home later this evening I'll post them for you

Yeah, I agree for the most part on all points touched on in this write up you've done. However, its very hard to take seriously when its riddled with grammatical errors and spelling problems.... We may be artists, but that doesn't excuse you from not having to write properly and sound like you're uneducated. I wouldn't hire you if I knew communicating with you would be a lot of "your" instead of "you're", wanna's instead of want to's and spelling mistakes. I'd say that's a reasonable concern, right?

Well, I know plenty of shitty freelance AD's that still manage to get work. I chalk it up to the fact that they really do 'suck*' hence still being able to find work.

I don't think it's so cut and dry, but more a combination of things already listed above.

*for those of you that don't quite get it, I meant that they place penis in their mouth.

Well, I know plenty of shitty freelance AD's that still manage to get work. I chalk it up to the fact that they really do 'suck*' hence still being able to find work.

I don't think it's so cut and dry, but more a combination of things already listed above.

*for those of you that don't quite get it, I meant that they place penis in their mouth.

That's how I usually get work.

Trannies though, so it's totally not gay

Novus4D I didn't forget about you ... I have a bunch of sites saved on my home computer (thank goodness because I can never remember them haha), when I get home later this evening I'll post them for you

Thanks man, looking forward to it.

Yeah, I agree for the most part on all points touched on in this write up you've done. However, its very hard to take seriously when its riddled with grammatical errors and spelling problems.... We may be artists, but that doesn't excuse you from not having to write properly and sound like you're uneducated. I wouldn't hire you if I knew communicating with you would be a lot of "your" instead of "you're", wanna's instead of want to's and spelling mistakes. I'd say that's a reasonable concern, right?

Yeah I know I'm a horrible writer (dude seriously i suck haha) and what I think doesn't always translate onto the page ... Now that you mention it I should go back fix all the grammar that I butchered haha.

EDIT: I fixed up the post and damn I made some stupid errors ... thanks for the feedback dotcommer. I appreciate it amigo

Edited by florio

Sounds a bit harsh and unreasonable to me unless your you're hiring them for writing or to interface with your client directly. English isn't everyone's native language.

Edited by AromaKat

Sounds a bit harsh and unreasonable to me unless your hiring them for writing or to interface with your client directly. English isn't even everyone's native language.

Yeah it's harsh but as I've always said "meh". Comments like that make me realize the many foolish mistakes I've made (in that post especially) so the next time I won't make the same ones.

Also I've never been one to take criticism personally. It's the only way to get better.

Edited by florio

the point i'm trying to make is that if most freelancers spent as much time working on personal projects and exploring the software as they do sitting at a bar or reading blogs on how to find a job, they'd be more likely to be headhunted than sitting at home waiting for a call that never comes.

producers are paid to find the best for the cheapest. hook ups mean diddly squat unless you got the prawns to back it up, and if you pose the slightest risk to the completion of the project, then guess what rockstar your number's in the trashcan. so if you're not finding any work as a freelancer, then close your browser, open after effects, and start not sucking.

successfully segway another meaningless thread into something useful.

CHECK

Edited by killkillakillyo

I strongly disagree with you killkill, in this work often its all wonderfully fucked up. Example: Kid went to a high up school. was friends with guys who now happen to be heads of marketing in some big public companies, which no one really cares about, that most likely have a monopoly in their field. The friends need to do presentations, video's for tradeshows and so on. But they really don't care about their success because there company is shitting gold anyway, so they hire their friend from highschool for some huge amount because they want to show of how big their budget is. The kid hires a bunch of people that he likes, friends from the internet, friends from the pub. The final quality of work doesnt really concern anyone as long as it has the keywords in it. Everyones a happy camper. no stress, just a deadline a couple of months away. And the client and the guys go out for beers all have fun, all good. Only one who potentially looses are the shareholders, but they are happy as long as they get their steady dividends.

wow.. big story...

granted this probably happens less now with the GFC and all, but i still see it as quite common.

But i do agree with you that people should read less about getting jobs and actually doing stuff. No argument there. looked through your threads btw, so turns out you did go freelance. how come no link in your signature?

Yeah I know I'm a horrible writer (dude seriously i suck haha) and what I think doesn't always translate onto the page ... Now that you mention it I should go back fix all the grammar that I butchered haha.

EDIT: I fixed up the post and damn I made some stupid errors ... thanks for the feedback dotcommer. I appreciate it amigo

Glad to see you're not taking that criticism the wrong way. I read back what I wrote later today and realized it was a little forceful, but I'm just trying to be realistic about it and I feel its a very important piece of the presentation when advertising yourself as a competent individual who can work and communicate clearly with others.