Sign in to follow this  
florio

For those of you who are trying to break into freelancing - read this

I strongly disagree with you killkill, in this work often its all wonderfully fucked up. Example: Kid went to a high up school. was friends with guys who now happen to be heads of marketing in some big public companies, which no one really cares about, that most likely have a monopoly in their field. The friends need to do presentations, video's for tradeshows and so on. But they really don't care about their success because there company is shitting gold anyway, so they hire their friend from highschool for some huge amount because they want to show of how big their budget is. The kid hires a bunch of people that he likes, friends from the internet, friends from the pub. The final quality of work doesnt really concern anyone as long as it has the keywords in it. Everyones a happy camper. no stress, just a deadline a couple of months away. And the client and the guys go out for beers all have fun, all good. Only one who potentially looses are the shareholders, but they are happy as long as they get their steady dividends.

wow.. big story...

granted this probably happens less now with the GFC and all, but i still see it as quite common.

But i do agree with you that people should read less about getting jobs and actually doing stuff. No argument there. looked through your threads btw, so turns out you did go freelance. how come no link in your signature?

no link because i just happen to be very outspoken on these boards and don't need that following me professionally.

although what you've described does take place in many professions, i for one can confidently say that it rarely happens in ours. if you lack the talent and skills necessary for a job you got hooked up with, it is the duty of upper management to can your ass and make sure everyone within the pipeline knows that CRONYISM to the detriment of the collective, can never be tolerated. and our industry requires such a mastery of skills, demands such a high level of intellect and problem-solving, and there is such a growing talent pool, that if you happen to be that talentless unskilled individual, replacing you with someone based solely on their ability to NOT SUCK is a simple task - the line goes around the corner twice.

do old friends refer each other to jobs in which they have the potential to succeed? of f'n course. but hooking someone up who SUCKS on the basis that you guys used to play kickball during recess is plain stupid. and that kind of stupidity never makes it past the interviews anyways.

the formula is simple. kick ass at what you do and you will never be out of work.

how many of us actually increased our dayrates during the recession? good job on not sucking.

Glad to see you're not taking that criticism the wrong way. I read back what I wrote later today and realized it was a little forceful, but I'm just trying to be realistic about it and I feel its a very important piece of the presentation when advertising yourself as a competent individual who can work and communicate clearly with others.

Here's the way I look at it. If the comment has ground and someone can benefit from it, I can see no reason to ever be upset about it. Being blunt and being forceful are two very different things. All I can say is I respect your opinion and ultimately it helped me to not look like a total bonehead ... So I got the feedback, fixed the errors (thanks again by the way), saved the girl and made home in time for dinner. Life is still good haha

Cheers

the point i'm trying to make is that if most freelancers spent as much time working on personal projects and exploring the software as they do sitting at a bar or reading blogs on how to find a job, they'd be more likely to be headhunted than sitting at home waiting for a call that never comes.

producers are paid to find the best for the cheapest. hook ups mean diddly squat unless you got the prawns to back it up, and if you pose the slightest risk to the completion of the project, then guess what rockstar your number's in the trashcan. so if you're not finding any work as a freelancer, then close your browser, open after effects, and start not sucking.

successfully segway another meaningless thread into something useful.

CHECK

FTFW.

Additionally, if you're fucking good, studios will find you.

Edited by hyp3

I strongly disagree with you killkill, in this work often its all wonderfully fucked up. Example: Kid went to a high up school. was friends with guys who now happen to be heads of marketing in some big public companies, which no one really cares about, that most likely have a monopoly in their field. The friends need to do presentations, video's for tradeshows and so on. But they really don't care about their success because there company is shitting gold anyway, so they hire their friend from highschool for some huge amount because they want to show of how big their budget is. The kid hires a bunch of people that he likes, friends from the internet, friends from the pub. The final quality of work doesnt really concern anyone as long as it has the keywords in it. Everyones a happy camper. no stress, just a deadline a couple of months away. And the client and the guys go out for beers all have fun, all good. Only one who potentially looses are the shareholders, but they are happy as long as they get their steady dividends.

wow.. big story...

granted this probably happens less now with the GFC and all, but i still see it as quite common.

But i do agree with you that people should read less about getting jobs and actually doing stuff. No argument there. looked through your threads btw, so turns out you did go freelance. how come no link in your signature?

I don't get it.

Kid went to a high up school. was friends with guys who now happen to be heads of marketing in some big public companies,

OK, this could happen.

which no one really cares about, that most likely have a monopoly in their field.

I don't think this happens very often. Which kind of companies are you talking about that have monopolies so nobody cares about their marketing? Like some kind of public utility or something?

The friends need to do presentations, video's for tradeshows and so on. But they really don't care about their success because there company is shitting gold anyway,

No, this doesn't really ever happen. You don't get to be the head of marketing of a company by not caring about your success or the quality of your work.

so they hire their friend from highschool for some huge amount because they want to show of how big their budget is.

I don't think this has ever happened. Trying to impress your high school friend by hiring him for a job he can't do and paying him lots of money to show off what kind of budgets your company can afford? That doesn't even make any sense.

Fun conspiracy theories though! That's a pretty wild variation on the bitter people who think "it's all about the connections", "you have to be friends with so and so" or "you have to go to this school" etc.

I don't get it.

I think its some kind of fantasy/fear that talentless people control the world because a friend of a friend of theirs knows this guy who got them the job.

Hell, in small, shitty markets, (specifically for salary positions, not freelance) I find this is actually true.

If you want to get into the grown up leagues though, do what killkill said, and just be good at what you do.

I think its some kind of fantasy/fear that talentless people control the world because a friend of a friend of theirs knows this guy who got them the job.

Hell, in small, shitty markets, (specifically for salary positions, not freelance) I find this is actually true.

If you want to get into the grown up leagues though, do what killkill said, and just be good at what you do.

I was being sarcastic.

In the business/political world this kind of shit happens all the time.

But as killkill was saying, rarely happens in our business unless:

1) You suck

2) Are complete dick (even if you're a dick, but a rockstar, you will always have a job)

@nog: generally companies that either a) have government contracts, like medical companies, eg BD( they deliver syringes to pretty much all the hospitals world wide). or B) companies that don't really need marketing to succeed, like mining companies. here is a perfect example of a company that lives off that:

http://www.themediajungle.com.au/

granted, not quite motiongraphics, but they do explain concepts and vizualize data..

I don't disagree with working hard and not sucking, that's exactly what i do, but just pointing out that it's not always about that.

Edited by vozzz

killkillakillyo - your bluntness is appreciated ... but you are right ... if you suck, you get no work (still trying to figure step 3 - its a tricky bastard)

Have you even watched the telly?

Suckage is the main ingredient.

Yeah, Fuk I don't see how i missed that. Do you people see some of the crap on TV. They definitely did not concern themselves with not sucking.

good point parallax