Sign in to follow this  
isotropy

Projecting Texture onto Mograph Cloner objects?

Hey Guys,

I've looked around the forums here, and did some searching, but haven't been able to find an adequate solution to this issue. I'm projecting a texture onto a mograph cloner object, and applying a dynamics simulation to it. I would like to have the texture "stick" to the cubes in my simulation on the first frame, but the objects appear to be traveling through the texture.

I've created a short movie of what i'm trying to do here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/554819/CamProjection2.mov

I've tried baking the texture, and using the stick texture tag, but I haven't been able to get either of those to work. Ideally, I would not like to have to bake out the dynamics simulation since I'd like to be able to work with the simulation with the texture applied correctly. I'm a bit of a noob at C4D so if I'm missing something painfully obvious, I apologize :)

Thanks again!

a real down and dirty way (it time is an issue) ... you could always animate the "Offset V" value in the texture tag ... this isn't best option but it was the quickest one I could think of.

Cheers

Hey,

On your geometry delete the original UVW coordinates tag then select the texture tag and generate a new UVW coordinates tag under tags menu in the object manger and that should stick your projection to the geometry. I don't know if its proper but its has worked for me in the past. Good Luck.

-coin

Edited by CoinStar

Hey Guys,

I tried both of those methods, but neither of them were successful unfortunately :( When I generated the new UVW's it changed the projection mode of the texture back to UVW rather than Projection. This changed the way it looked pretty significantly.

Thanks guys, but any other ideas, anyone?

Hey,

On your geometry delete the original UVW coordinates tag then select the texture tag and generate a new UVW coordinates tag under tags menu in the object manger and that should stick your projection to the geometry. I don't know if its proper but its has worked for me in the past. Good Luck.

-coin

Hey guys,

I was dicking around with this more tonight, and I think with Coinstar getting me on the right path, I was able to get this to work. What I had to do was turn all the mograph cloner objects into editable objects rather than clones, then delete all the UVW's and re-assign them. That did it, and the dynamics simulation is still live. totally sweet.

Here's a vid showing what I did. If there's a better way, I'd love to know!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/554819/C4DTextureStickSolution01.mov

Thanks!

Hey Guys,

I tried both of those methods, but neither of them were successful unfortunately :( When I generated the new UVW's it changed the projection mode of the texture back to UVW rather than Projection. This changed the way it looked pretty significantly.

Thanks guys, but any other ideas, anyone?

I'm starting to think Maxon should either abolish or massively expand the functionality of the Stick Texture Tag.

As far as other options go... I suppose the first question is, "Did you really need Camera Projection?"

What David said above is true for Flat Mapping, but as far as the limits of my knowledge... Camera Mapping and Frontal mapping are Un-Stickable in C4D. They are transferable to UVWs but the Stick Texture tag does nothing. Now that's just on normal objects... Cloners are a whole different deal. If you were to use Flat Mapping on your Clones you would see the the Fix Texture Parameter (in the Cloner->Object Tab) does indeed work. If you thought you might be tricky and generate UVWs on the cloner from a Camera Projection you probably noticed the option to generate UVW coordinates is grayed out in the menu. That just might be something Maxon could develop if they thought enough people needed it.

Somebody should probably ask, huh?

;)

-m