Sign in to follow this  
sevenb

What kind of crazy lighting is seen here?

I'm messing around trying to emulate this look. I have the sphere, texture, background and a couple softboxes with GI lighting my scene but I'm not getting near the reflections i'm seeing in this guy's render. Any ideas what they did to get those reflections.

Thanks.

video17967976.jpg

I got pretty close with an sIBL and some reflective spheres. Getting the bubble to look right though, took two spheres, one smaller than the other with slightly different textures on each.

I may turn this one into a tutorial if I figure out that ink section.

Screen%20shot%202011-02-05%20at%209.56.30%20PM.png

Cheers,

Nick

Here's what I came up with. I wasn't trying to 100% emulate what the original looked like. So it's a bit different as you can see.

I used two spheres (with a noise deformer on each). Each had a glass texture with a bit of reflection enabled to reflect the sIBL scene.

Nick, what did you use for the middle 'ink' part? I just used a sphere with a noise deformer on it, but yours looks better than mine. And the original looks better yet.

Thanks for the help, it's making this thread interesting.

bubblej.jpg

Are you guys getting the clear ball to pop out all jelly like?

As for the inside perhaps an animated sphere with subpoly displacement that animates also and having a whispy smoke animation playing as the colour channel.

Funny to see this post cause I was just working on the blobby particle field right at the start of this piece.

Are you guys getting the clear ball to pop out all jelly like?

As for the inside perhaps an animated sphere with subpoly displacement that animates also and having a whispy smoke animation playing as the colour channel.

Funny to see this post cause I was just working on the blobby particle field right at the start of this piece.

Thanks for the link Hamilton. I should have posted the original too.

I think the whispy smoke is the key here. Any ideas of what to use for that? Pyrocluster?

Anyway, I was wanting to know if you found a way to achieve the 'blobby particle field' you were working on? I'm guessing just a bunch of softbody spheres with a noise deformer applied. Then get an attractor of some sort to bring them all into the middle? How would you make them all look like one big blob at the end though? Maybe some tricky after effects cutting?

Thanks for the link Hamilton. I should have posted the original too.

I think the whispy smoke is the key here. Any ideas of what to use for that? Pyrocluster?

Anyway, I was wanting to know if you found a way to achieve the 'blobby particle field' you were working on? I'm guessing just a bunch of softbody spheres with a noise deformer applied. Then get an attractor of some sort to bring them all into the middle? How would you make them all look like one big blob at the end though? Maybe some tricky after effects cutting?

I'm doing my test render as I type. But so far I took 4 or 5 small spheres at different sizes and added vibrate tags to them. Lowered the frequency so they moved and scaled slowly & with different seeds. Dropped all of them into a metaball. Took that meta ball and put it in a cloner with a huge grid and dispersed it with random position effector. Added dynamics tag so a turbulence could be applied and make all of the different blob builds float around slightly in a zero gravity. Animated the strength of an Attractor in the center and pulled them all into a center metaball which just blends into a clean sphere.

Was going to make a depth pass for AE to get the hyper strong D.O.F on the particles and mix in some particular particles.

Thats my recipe for that thus far.

Will post an image when I have it lookin worthy.

Whispy Smoke - I have zero experience with pyro so personally I'd be more inclined to make smoke using particular in AE. Maybe render a large square comp and use that as the colour channel on a sphere with the subpoly displace animating to make it all bulgy. Maybe ad alpha and have a couple spheres with different settings almost on top of one an other. Could be some pyro presets though that could just use some tweeking to get something close.

Edited by Hamilton

Having spent a few weeks with MvsM I'd hazard a guess that the smoky stuff was done with either Krakatoa in max or the fluid/particle stuff in Maya.

You'll struggle with C4D native but maybe look at one of the new plugins like turbulence 4D to get some smoke emitting. Or try to shoot some milky liquid and get compositing...

Haha, milky liquid table top shoots. Sounds Kinky.

Hear that Nick? You're gonna have to get all hot and milky outside of Cinema if you decide to replicate this one for the masses.

The only thing i've seen produce results like that ( something off about them) is dpit fluid sim. It makes this kinda stringy smoke thingy, which they have going here. But never used it, so can't help with anything more than that.

The only thing i've seen produce results like that ( something off about them) is dpit fluid sim. It makes this kinda stringy smoke thingy, which they have going here. But never used it, so can't help with anything more than that.

http://www.jawset.com/downloads.php

There's a free demo of one of them here, I dont know which is supposed to be 'the best'.. it does look like it could produce something similar though

Looks like a pretty rad plug actually. Much cheaper than RealFlow but perhaps not as in depth. The fire looks wicked in the Viva rebrands.

Also the AE version looks like it would be sweet to make fluid type morphs and reveals.

The dPit plug http://www.dpit2.de/v2/index.php?content=effexgal looks cool too and give a fully functioning zero water mark for 3 weeks. NEAT!

Edited by Hamilton

Looks like average HDRI lighting with GI, nothing too crazy. Tried sIBL but can't even get it to open my ibl pack... which is annoying as I wanted to see what you keep banging on about.

The geometry of the wet bubble looks like Soft Body dynamics with a noise channel mapping the elasticity - you'll notice this same jiggle in a soft body ball after a collision event if you set the elasticity really high. You can also 'inflate' the bubble afterwards to smooth & scale it to its shiny fullest extent.

The ball doesn't really even need to be soft, if you run a mograph deform through it to get the noise wobble and stick a springy delay after it you get a nice bubbly spring effect.