Sign in to follow this  
eatmydear

object cloner, randomize clones position

hello!

just a quick question about the cloner set to object mode.

this works as it should, clones are arranged on the vertex of a sphere.

now i have a plain effector, transform mode: absolute / transform space: effector - moving the position of all clones to 0/0/0.

now i want them to move back in position (vertexes of cloned sphere) - so i animated the strength of the plain effector to zero, that works fine of course.

but what i want is that they get to their original position randomly, step by step.

i played around with weight transform and random effector - still no luck

any advice?

thank you!

markus

here's the file with the basic setup:

http://eatmydear.at/download/general/cloner_randomsteps.c4d

cloner1.jpg

cloner2.jpg

cloner3.jpg

Edited by eatmydear

Hi,

I have an answer for what I think you are talking about. I can't take full credit for this solution, as I learned it from the HelloLuxx dynamics training series. What you need to do, is to remove the strength keyframes so that all the clones are at 0,0,0. Then apply a random effector to the cloner and disable all the parameters except for the weight transform and set that to 100%. Then create a matrix object set to object mode and drop the large sphere into the object field. Next, put an Inheritance effector on the cloner. Drop the matrix object into the object field on the Inheritance effector and check the morph motion object checkbox. Give it a linear falloff and animate it moving from one side of the cloner to the other.

Let me know if this doesn't work due to me missing steps in my description. I downloaded your scene file and followed these steps and it worked perfectly.

Cheers!

Edited by kelceysteele

thanks for the replies!

already figured out another solution using random effector before plain eff.

just set weight transform to 100%, everything else disabled. now i'm just animating the falloff weight of the plain effector from +100 till -100.

that seems to do the trick :)

cheers, markus

just set weight transform to 100%, everything else disabled. now i'm just animating the falloff weight of the plain effector from +100 till -100.

that seems to do the trick :)

Great trick. I'm always looking for a way to get clones to move one by one to their target. This is the simplest way yet.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Nick