Sign in to follow this  
mintyfresh

craigslist mac pros vs. new

i tried looking on some of the speed test sites - barefeats.com etc, but still cant get a handle on comparison

how would a 2007/2008 3.0ghz 8-core mac pro compare with their latest offerings of machines?

part of me wants to drop the coin on the 12-core beast, but right now i am looking at getting one of these early 3.0 8-cores for $1600 with no sales tax versus what we know newer ones cost.

i tried looking on some of the speed test sites - barefeats.com etc, but still cant get a handle on comparison

how would a 2007/2008 3.0ghz 8-core mac pro compare with their latest offerings of machines?

part of me wants to drop the coin on the 12-core beast, but right now i am looking at getting one of these early 3.0 8-cores for $1600 with no sales tax versus what we know newer ones cost.

if you got the time and energy i say build it. you can build an 8-core hackintosh relatively easy these days now that there's a good amount of writeups and driver kexts out there.

the added benefit of course is going SSD RAID and saving a couple bones on top of it.

I was in a similar situation round november. At work I was on an 8 core, and was happy with it. So when purchasing my home computer, got the same 8 core, though not as much ram...(yet) The 8-core is a work horse, and didn't think the new 12 have been out long enough to be solid, or worth the extra 2-3K.

Glad I stuck with the 8. Hope that helps.

If you're going to be using C4D - GSG has a good comparison of the 2008 Mac Pros with the new 12 Core beasts:

http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/2010/11/12-core-vs-8-core-vs-2-core-cinema-4-render-speed-test/

If price is an issue, and you're willing to go the PC route - I just had a 12-core PC with 32GB of RAM and a 2TB RAID custom built, tested and warrantied for under $4000(Canadian). I'd assume you could get it cheaper in the US. My Cinebench score is exactly the same as in the GSG vid.

Not advocating PC over Mac, just throwing that out there since price and power seem to be a concern.

Edited by beau+++

Beau, where did you get that PC built?

Woops, didn't realize anyone replied, sorry for the late response.

I got it built through NCIX.com, it's a Canadian site (similar to Newegg). You pick all your parts just like you would with Newegg, then at checkout there's a $50 option for Build & Test. Awesome customer service - I didn't get my video card through them, but they contacted me to ask what video card model I was going to put in it, so they could do the test with the same model. They also set up the RAID for me no charge.

Hardware has always been daunting to me, so until now I've avoided picking individual parts like that, but the process was pretty simple. I started with a Supermicro Superworkstation, which includes the case, PSU, dual-proc motherboard and fans etc. Then it was just a matter of picking my RAM, processors and extras. My goal was to get it as close to the top-of-the-line Mac Pros as possible, so I ordered two 6-core Westmeres. I've been told I could install Snow Leopard without much fuss, but I haven't bothered trying.

I don't know what the 2010 Mac Pros cost outside Canada, but here my same machine in Mac flavour would've cost over $9500 CAD. My machine has almost identical hardware to the new Mac Pros (even better IMO - room for 8 hot-swappable hard drives in this sucker and room for 96GB of RAM). The guts are easily transferable to a server case too, so my plan is to hopefully buy a new identical machine (or better) each year, and put the old ones in a server rack to get a good affordable render farm going.

beau thats a rad way to go

whats the best way to spec out one of these so that the components are maximum compatible for hackintosh

is audio often the problem for hackintosh, like no mic in no headphones out type of problems?

beau thats a rad way to go

whats the best way to spec out one of these so that the components are maximum compatible for hackintosh

is audio often the problem for hackintosh, like no mic in no headphones out type of problems?

I know next to nothing about Hackintoshes. I briefly looked into it after hearing my workstation might be hackintosh-capable, but as soon as I saw instructions to go messing around in the BIOS I stopped. As it stands, I have a top of the line workstation I can easily afford to upgrade every year, and I spend all my time in Adobe/C4D anyway, so the OS doesn't really matter to me. My personal advice is that if you want a Mac, buy a real Mac. If you just need some render power and don't care much about the OS, grab a PC workstation.

And if you're going to hackintosh, make sure you have a backup machine ready to work on in case you fuck something up ;)

awesome, thanks for all the details and specs. i switched (back) to pc a few years back with a dell, but dont want to go that route and have no idea what other brand to trust. figure a custom build is the way to go.