Sign in to follow this  
TheJuggernaut

C4D: Camera and Null parenting problem

Hello,

I have an animated camera but now i need it to parent it to a null (to use a specific rotation point).

The null is added after the animatied camera. When I parent camera to null, the camera shifts place.

Which is logical because the null is also positioned from its origin.

So how can I parent an animated camera to a shifted null without adding the position value of the null to the camera's?

I will eventually need to have several nulls rotate the camera because of varying rotation points.

Thanks for any insight on this.

I quickly tried and was able to get the camera to keep it's original position while being parented to a null whose position isn't 0,0,0. I think that's what you're asking, right? There may be a simpler way to do this, but I took my animated camera, duplicated it (for reference) and parented the original to a null at a random position. Then you can wire up some expresso that basically just subtracts the position and rotation values from the reference camera (not parented) from the position and rotation values of the null. Just make sure that you send those values to the local position/rotation of your main camera and no the global input. I'd upload a scene file but I don't have that capability at the moment.

Dumb question: is there an easier way to do what you're trying to do instead of parenting to a ton of nulls?

Hope that helps.

R

I quickly tried and was able to get the camera to keep it's original position while being parented to a null whose position isn't 0,0,0. I think that's what you're asking, right? There may be a simpler way to do this, but I took my animated camera, duplicated it (for reference) and parented the original to a null at a random position. Then you can wire up some expresso that basically just subtracts the position and rotation values from the reference camera (not parented) from the position and rotation values of the null. Just make sure that you send those values to the local position/rotation of your main camera and no the global input. I'd upload a scene file but I don't have that capability at the moment.

Dumb question: is there an easier way to do what you're trying to do instead of parenting to a ton of nulls?

Hope that helps.

R

Thanks so much for the reply. Yes, you had my question correct. Honestly my knowledge/experience with expresso is next to nothing...so that scene file would be great whenever you can get around to it. It sounds like it'll work great.

To answer your question about using a ton of parenting nulls...I really don't know if it's the best approach, but it's the only way I can see how. I'm attempting to do a Kinetic Typography video in Cinema where I'll be zooming and rotating around a lot of words.

Have you looked into Chris Smith's CS_Tools? There are several camera objects in there. I'm sure one would work well for you and may save you a ton of time and headache.

R

To answer your question about using a ton of parenting nulls...I really don't know if it's the best approach, but it's the only way I can see how. I'm attempting to do a Kinetic Typography video in Cinema where I'll be zooming and rotating around a lot of words.

Definitely look into a Camera helper for this... I would second CS_Tools per RVA8's suggestion.

-m

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I hooked up CS_MoCam and yes...that seems the way to go. It seems to be working great so far. Is there a workaround for having more than 8 waypoints?

Monkey...I've been a fan of your vids on GSG. Keep up the good work.

Is there a workaround for having more than 8 waypoints?

No easy way without modifying MoCam a ton. There may be a hack where you try and use multiple instances and sync them up, or break up your shots so you render out 8 cams at a time.

OR

You can wait an undetermined amount of time until I finish my grand ultimate camera system I've been working on for months and will probably take many more months to finish. However it will give you unlimited cams and do most of the animation for you. Someday I'll finish this beast.

No easy way without modifying MoCam a ton. There may be a hack where you try and use multiple instances and sync them up, or break up your shots so you render out 8 cams at a time.

I'm currently working with MoCam for the first time, so far so good :) thanks for making this! I've been reading around that people have put in multiple instances of MoCam and synced the last camera to the first of the new instance. However, this isn't working for me - and from what I've read from various forum posts it ends at the suggestion. Can anyone tell me if they've had success with this approach?

Edited by nukegara