Sign in to follow this  
shapirog

Working in France

Hi,

I'm a motion graphics artist and I'd like to move to France in the next year, specifically Paris. I was wondering if anyone here works in France and could give me some advice of how to get over there or tell me a bit about what it's like working there / trying to find work there. Thanks!

Hi,

I'm a motion graphics artist and I'd like to move to France in the next year, specifically Paris. I was wondering if anyone here works in France and could give me some advice of how to get over there or tell me a bit about what it's like working there / trying to find work there. Thanks!

France is not very "freelance" friendly. I used to run a business there and hiring a freelancer typically cost me about 100% of their fee in taxes. The reason is that people who work in the entertainement business are given the benefit of unemployment money to the height of 100% of their average wages when they don't work....The rationale is that if the state does not help creatives, they will lose their independence. Not a bad point, but very business unfriendly....

Getting paperwork to work in France will also be a challenge, unless you have a european passport.

Now if you have huge talent and great contacts/reel, you will most likely get over these problems pretty easily.

Good luck!

Alex

Frig. As a job looker this seems rad and blow's my reel away. Maybe I'll go for something in Easter Island then. Wave some branches around and make motion shade shapes happen. Otherwise . . fuck!

Back to the drawing board.

Nice piece dude. All I can say is hope you can say "Voolay Voo Coo Che Avec Moi" and babes dig it. Hump a broad for every keyframe you lay in France and tell us about it!

New Thread - Sex Stories from Motion Rock'ers - Might top the lounge shuffle. lol

. . . . oh boy, this was a boozy post folks. . . deet! . . . NEAT!

Edited by Hamilton

yeah cool reel man, i enjoyed it.

Why the move to france? I mean i love france, but not a place i'd go for work. ( then again im still trying to get to NYC, maybe once im there, i'll go to france =) )

I'm French Freelance from France.

Rurik talks about a particularly status we got there, it's called "intermittent" and yes, this status is the graal :

you work 10 days you"re paid the 11 resting days of the month. But to get there huh! is not easy ....

I might not be the right person to reply as far as graphic motion design and freelancing is involved, i'm fed up with the france business,

Paris is getting old, we re getting old, the potential dev of my country is in my opinion far from what it will really be.

Stay where the progress Bar is 3% expected or move to China, India there you'll find a real "move" mood.

All is decided in Paris, in friendship relations, no friends no job.

And do not think we got good manners or the girls are really hot this is not true, this is a cliche.

We got pretty good motion design company, about 20. They're full yet but may hire sometimes.

Getting close to an ad company or developping friendships quickly is the right thing to do.

If you take some of our best motion designer they all work mostly for foreign countries and that's not without any reason.

The US is more aware, more business oriented > you move.

We lack positivism we are number one in taking anti-stress medecine worldwide

As i said, i might not be the right person to answer this question, i 'd like to leave France... but got a daughter here.

i can answer any question if you got some !

As being american is so cool, we might prefer working with you just because you're a so cool american !

Edited by dotcom

Thanks for the responses guys.

I've lived in the US my whole life and would like to start living abroad, mainly as a life experience : to experience cultures outside of the American bubble I grew up in, and to gain fluency in foreign languages. The longest I lived outside of the US was 6 weeks in Paris and that's too short to really count as living there, plus I was speaking English with my American friends too often.

Currently my two main targets are France and Japan, and my Japanese is really rough... whereas I can hold a conversation in French. So France is my first goal!

Any other advice / thoughts would be really appreciated! Thanks so much.

Good post dotcom!

I am also interested in this info, though not limited to Paris. I imagine a lot of this could hold true for most of European cities.

I'm also guessing the majority of work is in London, Berlin, Paris, Amsterdam, and Barcelona. Can anyone confirm a top5 cities for motion design in Europe?

Hi,

Nice work.. you'll find something with this, if you have the paper. You're a lot better than I am and I work in Paris.

There is a few thing rurik told you I'd like to clarify about freelancing in Paris. I thing there is a mix of two different kind of job : Freelance and what we called "Intermittent du spectacle"

1/ Freelancer

Freelancer work like a small business and make an invoice. with taxes include. The client or company who hired a freelancer don't pay any tax, just an invoice.

Freelancer pay his own tax and never received any money for unemployment.

2/ Intermittent du Spectacle

It's a special status for anyone who work in the Entertainment world (Music, theatre, Circus, Video, Tv, Cinema.... With this, the company who hired you is supposed to pay you a wage everyday you work, like any salaryman but for a determined period. On this Wage the tax are expensive , 63%, not 100%. And with this money , governement give you money everyday you're unemployed.

I don't know if it's clear.. At the end Most of the time it costs exactly the same thing to the company. We work with both Freelance and Intermittent.

For example a day for a freelance could cost 400€ , same thing for Intermittent but, intermittent will only earn 250€ because of tax. But part of these tax help him when he is unemployed.

Et voilà..

PM me for name of companies..

Hope this helps..

Good Luck

Wysee, my accountant would always tell me to not hire freelancers, as if you are working in the "entertainement" business and the government catches you hiring people that are not "intermittents", you can get in trouble...

But yes, there is that freelance status. The problem with it is that the paperwork one has to maintain as a freelancer is so complex, paying taxes to so many different entities, that you probably need to have an accountant handling your stuff very regularly. I think the main types that keep this freelancer status or "independants" are doctors and lawyers.

I agree about what was said above when it comes to the slow moving "closed" aspect of France (and especially Paris). There is a word in french : "Clique". People find themselves in little groups, families of sort, and don't like newcomers to threaten their status. If you look at the state of the french film industry, you will notice that it is always the same people, making the same movies (usually or a socially aware drama, or a typical french comedy), with the same crews etc...

Of course there are exceptions, people who just break through all these barriers. That could very well be your case.

I admire your desire to move. I moved from France after running a business there for 5 years. I gained a lot of experience, came to the US, and it took me 3 or 4 months to get to the same level financially as I was before leaving France. The US is certainly more of a land of opportunity, mainly because there never seems to be reason to doubt somebody you never heard of if he has good work to show. I was hired at a company here in LA just based on my reel and an interview, I know it sounds crazy, but in France you wouldn't get the interview in the first place unless someone made the direct connection between you and the interviewer.

To stay at the same level of openess to newcomers, and the same level of opportunity, I would try China or the middle east. You don't need to speak chinese or arabic, and there are tons of companies moving to China and Dubai and elsewhere where the markets are very young and optimistic. Pixmondo is an example of a VFX company that has offices in China and always seems to be hiring.

I understand the charm and seduction factor of France, it is a beautiful place, and walking through Paris on a spring day is an experience I wish to everybody, but working there is a different deal....

Good luck!

Alex

so the moral of the story? Go to london, work there, and shoot across the pond for weekends, and holidays. =)

and honestly i can't stand french people saying their girls aren't hot. They've just been spoilt by being around them all their life, so fukin frustrating. =P