Sign in to follow this  
baynoise

Scotch

I've recently fallen in love with Single Malt Scotch. Nothing like working a long day in Manhattan and coming home to a nice glass of Islay. I know there is some Single Malt lovers on Mograph so let the dialogue begin!

Any suggestions for a newbie? Favorites? Bars? Shops?

Oh man scotch is my favorite ... Nothing like finishing a project and cracking open a bottle of Glenfiddich with the post crew haha.

Now @christopher san agustin where in manhattan do you normally work in? That helps narrow down which bars would be the best choice

Oh man scotch is my favorite ... Nothing like finishing a project and cracking open a bottle of Glenfiddich with the post crew haha.

Now @christopher san agustin where in manhattan do you normally work in? That helps narrow down which bars would be the best choice

Florio.

I am in Flatiron.

But its come to my attention that I basically live across the street from a bar called Char No. 4 in Brooklyn. I am looking at their drink list right now and I think I've found my bar! I thought it was just a Bourbon bar but I was definitely wrong.

Florio.

I am in Flatiron.

But its come to my attention that I basically live across the street from a bar called Char No. 4 in Brooklyn. I am looking at their drink list right now and I think I've found my bar! I thought it was just a Bourbon bar but I was definitely wrong.

Well if you want to drink in Flatiron:

the Flatiron Lounge is really good (pricey though),

On the way home:

d.b.a on first ave.

If your feeling like you wanna explore brooklyn:

Larry Laurence in Williamsburg, Brooklyn (my new favorite ... thanks to the monkey)

You'll have to let me know how Char No. 4 is ... I live off the G and I'm always looking for new bars haha

Cheers

Edited by florio

Nice topic Christopher ;-)

Anyone enjoy the really really peated scotch? I was looking at the laphroaig quarter cask

I used to think the peatier the better, then I grabbed a bottle of Ardberg (10 y.o. I think)... and found you can go too far. Like sucking whisky through a mouthful of dirt :blink:

Knockando is currently flicking my switch.

Nice topic Christopher ;-)

I used to think the peatier the better, then I grabbed a bottle of Ardberg (10 y.o. I think)... and found you can go too far. Like sucking whisky through a mouthful of dirt :blink:

Knockando is currently flicking my switch.

Sounds like I need to try that Ardbeg! I am going to keep my eye out for that Knockando.

Been drinking scotch for 5 years now. My brother in law has a great cabinet and he lets me partake in exchange for pipe tobacco on a weekly basis. Now I have about 4 bottles, of 100+ scotch on my own shelf, but can't afford to have more than 2 fingers a couple times a week.

For a newbie, I would actually stay away from the peaty scotches as one member mentioned he liked. You'll have plenty of time to adjust to that, but it is what turns off a lot of new scotch drinkers (if you want a good indication of what this tastes like, try talisker 14). At the end of the day, just start trying different ones! They are all good, some just hit your buds better than others.

My suggestion, buy bottles, not shots... You'll appreciate it more with a friend on a balcony over paying 6x its value in a loud bar *.

My first bevmo suggestion to a newer scotch drinker would be Belvanie 18 (oak barrell cask $70), Oban 14 ($50), dearstalker 14 ($70), and highland park 18 ($80). They are all perfect starters.

Hope this helps! Now can I have some mo-graph lessons?

*My dad bought my bro-in-law and I a $175 shot of chivas regal on new years. We looked at eachother after saying thank you, wishing he would have just given us the cash to go buy 2 nice bottles.

Edited by Biederbeck

Started drinking proper Scotch this year. So far a few Islay's (Laphroaig, Lagavulin), just bought a bottle of Aberlour 2 hours ago.

Have to ease some people into it with some fruitiness.

I have made it my personal mission to get people away from gasoline Wodka and into a proper drink.