Sign in to follow this  
rolin

City Kit for Cinema 4D Demo

Those were basically my thoughts. "Now I can't do text in a city anymore, because thousands of reels will have it" I liked the mostyle piece for mercedes smart a lot and checked out the blender python script he referred to. Wonder how City Kit stacks up.

Edit: the url for those that hadn't seen it yet:

Those were basically my thoughts. "Now I can't do text in a city anymore, because thousands of reels will have it"

That's how so many new products are when they first come out, especially on some of the more popular mograph/vfx sites that sell things. I think once the novelty wears off and people go beyond the presets or the typical city skyline, there are tons of useful situations for this kit.

My limited time with this City Kit leads me to believe it is well executed and will prove very useful. Personally, I wouldn't allow the potential for rookie abuses to keep me from adding a useful tool. Sure, we'll probably see lots of default setting skylines for no apparent reason, but the only way that effects me is if I'm also using default setting skylines for no apparent reason. In that case, the problem isn't the choice of tool. City Kit appears to have enough customization readily available to keep your cityscapes from looking like the ones on the student demo reels. If not, I suggest adding a nice lens flare and/ or Shine rays to really jazz things up.

i ended up rendering a still from the city kit and after looking at it for 5 minutes i realized...i will never use this. the render just looked boring and i had no possible project that would ever need a city that i couldn't just make a bunch of cubes for. plus it is soooo slow. maybe it's just my machine. initial renders crashed; couldn't do gi or ambient occlusion. i had to set it into preview mode and drop the viewers resolution to low just to move my camera around! i'll say kudos to nick and chris smith for putting it together, i hope they make some money from it.

if i ever need a city i will definitely investigate procedural's city engine. with the city engine you can at least make custom buildings! with the gsg kit, you're stuck with his prebuilt stuff. maybe i didn't dig around in it too much but it seems that way.

btw, mostyle's smart vid is pretty sweet. your link was password protected but it's here:

Edited by thekinginyellow

i ended up rendering a still from the city kit and after looking at it for 5 minutes i realized...i will never use this. the render just looked boring and i had no possible project that would ever need a city that i couldn't just make a bunch of cubes for. plus it is soooo slow. maybe it's just my machine. initial renders crashed; couldn't do gi or ambient occlusion. i had to set it into preview mode and drop the viewers resolution to low just to move my camera around! i'll say kudos to nick and chris smith for putting it together, i hope they make some money from it.

if i ever need a city i will definitely investigate procedural's city engine. with the city engine you can at least make custom buildings! with the gsg kit, you're stuck with his prebuilt stuff. maybe i didn't dig around in it too much but it seems that way.

btw, mostyle's smart vid is pretty sweet. your link was password protected but it's here:

Hmmm, my initial impression was that it was surprisingly quick considering what it was doing, without any crashes on a two year old Mac Pro 8 core. I was able to use GI and AO without any issues with very reasonable render times, and I could navigate in the viewport without any delays. It seems like your system is the culprit here, but I'd be interested to see what others are experiencing.

with the gsg kit, you're stuck with his prebuilt stuff. maybe i didn't dig around in it too much but it seems that way.

Pretty sure you didn't dig around enough. I can't find the link but I remember seeing someone made a futuristic sci-fi city using the GSG kit. All custom buildings.

Hmmm, my initial impression was that it was surprisingly quick considering what it was doing, without any crashes on a two year old Mac Pro 8 core. I was able to use GI and AO without any issues with very reasonable render times, and I could navigate in the viewport without any delays. It seems like your system is the culprit here, but I'd be interested to see what others are experiencing.

I've only had a really quick play with it (no GI or AO) but haven't experienced any issues, I'm on an octo macpro as well. I got it because I had a project that called for a city flythrough land on my desk the week it came out. Gotta say even if I only use end up using it to show client some quick temp/previz animation is worth the cost.

with the city engine you can at least make custom buildings! with the gsg kit, you're stuck with his prebuilt stuff.
Not 100% positive but pretty sure you can swap in custom buildings.

ya, there's stills/videos on his site where he's dropped motext into the scene and the city kit buildings form around it interactively. says it should work for all all custom objects

Edited by highfive

i guess i'll have to play with it some more. i'm sure it has some more customizable features that i'm overlooking.

as for my craptastic machine...yeh...it's pretty bad! an old dual core frankenstein. i'm surprised it can even launch c4d much less render out half the crap it does!

Thanks for all the feedback so far for the City Kit!

@thekinginyellow - Sorry you had rendering problems with the kit. We kept it as fast as possible, but there may be some older systems that won't run it. have you tried using the preview mode to animate with? Please let me know if you need a refund.

@scott frizzle - So glad it's working so well for you. Thanks for the nice words.

For those of you asking, you can use your own custom buildings with the City Kit. There is a tutorial included with the kit that shows you how. Here is an example from a user.

5468950612_889754e022_b.jpg

Please keep the feedback coming. This is definitely a 1.0 product that we have a lot of plans for moving forward with new versions.

Cheers,

Nick