Sign in to follow this  
butler

Select every other text character in AE using expressions?

Looking for a way to select every other character in a text layer to be displayed as the text. Is there a way to do this using an array or something. I do not have enough knowledge in expressions to know if this is even possible or not. Thanks.

Looking for a way to select every other character in a text layer to be displayed as the text. Is there a way to do this using an array or something. I do not have enough knowledge in expressions to know if this is even possible or not. Thanks.

You could use a combination of scripts.

You could break the text apart with this: http://aescripts.com/decomposetext/

Then you could select every other character with this script:http://aescripts.com/nth-layer-selector/

textIndex%2 applied to an expression selector. Simply apply an opacity selector to hide/show alternating characters. If you must actually pick characters from a string, pretty much the same logic would work:

myString=text.sourceText;

i=1;

myChar='';

while (i < myString.length)

{

myChar += myString

i = i+2

};

[myChar]

Mylenium

Edited by Mylenium