Sign in to follow this  
mintyfresh

Pythizzle

so i bet in 4 yrs i will know a bit of python, probably using it in cinema 4d and nuke, if not also after effects

i'm wondering how i will get there.

A coder at the video game i've been working on recommended a quickstart book for python, which i bought for 25.... it came and its thin as hell and doesnt seem to include explanations of a large number of functions or have exercises like i was sort of expecting and the format that helped me learn a bit of processing. so maybe this book works for this genius programmer who knows a ton of languages and openGL is his bitch, but it just seems like something i should send back

if you (C smith or anyone else) who has been learning python were to recommend a book or a way or learning/referencing python, how would you go about beginning to learn and use it?

maybe the quickstart book is rad - but i have a feeling there are better

O'Reilly and Addison Wellesly have a wealth of programming books, including a ton of Python-centric ones... enough to occupy your time. Can't offer any specific tips, though, as availability of editions and translations is confusing here in Germany. Might want to check your Amazon...

Mylenium

No first-hand experience, but I've heard these both come highly recommended:

Think Python

Learn Python The Hard Way

(actually for beginners - "The book is a very beginner book for people who want to learn to code. If you can already code then the book will probably drive you insane. It's intended for people who have no coding chops to build up their skills before starting a more detailed book.")

No first-hand experience, but I've heard these both come highly recommended:

Think Python

Learn Python The Hard Way

(actually for beginners - "The book is a very beginner book for people who want to learn to code. If you can already code then the book will probably drive you insane. It's intended for people who have no coding chops to build up their skills before starting a more detailed book.")

Vote up for learning python the hard way...if you are new to programming, I would also suggest

http://inventwithpython.com/

each chapter presents a game and a way to program it. So that in that way, you are introduced to typical programming problems and the best way to solve them

and if you still don"t have enough to read check out:

http://diveintopython.org/

pretty much like learning python the hard way, but a bit more conventional