Sign in to follow this  
Tony M

Feed Back on a Web Site and Reel

Hey,

Need some feed back on our web site

www.mayoflux.tv

I'm not happy with the layout of the "about us" page any suggestions?

Also please provide feed back on our show reel too.

Thanks

Tony

Can you give us a little background on your company? I'll be honest, when I first saw the site and reel, my impression was "OK, pretty standard student fare here". Then I poked around and realized you're marketing this as a full-scale company with like 15 team members :huh:

What's your team's background? Are you trying to make this a full-time job for all those people?

I Like the color choice , the page looks a bit too minimalistic without establishing any sort of structure for sections of the site ... Its a trend I've seen a lot lately . Just a simple background color and type but mostly I never liked these designs and I think a few more outlines to make the structure of your website more obvious

As for the reel its too long and the segments you put into it don't match the pace of the music , they look brilliant but might not suit your music nor ford their lenght suit the fact that your reel should be punchy . I read a stat that people are more likely to watch a video through if they see that the length of the video is 1 min or so than if they see it longer

I think the idea with a showreel is to put your best work together in an appealing way. I lost interest after 30 seconds; there is some really compelling work in there but it's stuck with some really basic, dated looking spots. I think we all do lower budget work for clients that ask for it, but there's no need to put that stuff on your reel. FYI - the stuff that stood out as good was the UI and the guy wandering around the musical instrument filled landscape.

Hiya, a few things.

nice colour scheme.

cut reel to just over a minute, the work can't sustain the length. the only person with a reel over 3mins that worked for me was Chris Cunningham...

what is a Strategic Alliance Manager? how many do you need?

Why isn't the Head Honcho at the top of the people list?

You guys all need to read a book about typography and design and HIRE a freelance illustrator if you're going to do any of that.

Its early days for sure, but with a bit of minimalising and thorough thought process, you'll see what you need to do.

What do you guys want to be doing in 3 years?

@beau +++

Yeah, we are a new company and we have only being open for 2 months. Not much goes on in the Pittsburgh area so i saw a need to start a company in this area. We are all fresh out of college with 6 months to a year of freelance experience each. I saw in a book that it's easier to make an approach with a company backing you then as an individual. This is right now an organized freelancing company open to any type of digital project with the idea that we are not working as an individual anymore.

@Zickar

Thanks for the advice, I've noticed on are video statistics that we get about 2 times the loads as we do total plays.

@Chirp

Smaller might be better, thanks.

@rollowenlock

Thanks,

Strategic Alliance Manager - Sales ... When we get a new client we try to push the idea that they are forming a smart alliance with us rather then buying a service or product from us. Everyone that works as a Alliance Manager is commission only for 10% of any contract they sign.

3 years from now i'm hoping to either merge with other studios or be strong enough to run an VFX and motion graphic studio in the Pittsburgh area.

I hope to learn more from the best, that's why i'm reaching out with posts.

Thanks again

The Reel:

Most of the shots moved very slowly - so the pace needs to pick up not only in the cut but within the clips as well. I would drop the amount of RGB separation to one use or nil.

The Site:

It doesn't come across to me as a company site. Phrases like

"MayoFlux is a full production media company specializing in bringing multiple modalities to advertisements, photos, text, websites, and the like. Mayoflux is prepared to convert your project into a multimedia experience."

should have the phrasing revisited. Look into getting a professional copywriter.

The 3 columns of service offerings are a bit weird... To me, its coming across as a collective portfolio page where recently taken course outlines have been listed as 'services'.

I wish you and your team the best of luck with this endeavor, but you learn from the best by working with / for the best for a while rather than starting a company right out the gates of college. Frankly, that's quite a ballsy move to make. Since you are targeting the local market, make sure you are top-notch or you will burn bridges with all of your potential employers.

Not much goes on in the Pittsburgh area so i saw a need to start a company in this area.

:blink: Who are your clients then?

Edited by AromaKat

Ok, freelance collective, here's the first thing you need: You need to be a company, not a freelance collective. That's not to say that you can't operate however you like, it's to say that your potential clients want to put their trust into a singular and trustworthy entity. They want efficiency, clarity, speed, and ease of use, and they want to know that you'll get the job done. By reinforcing the idea that you're a collection of individuals all looking for work under the same name, you're not inspiring a lot of confidence along these lines. So scrap the individual reels. Scrap the credits. Scrap the calling cards, both on the reel and the site. Your name is the company name, not the names of the people within. The US Army doesn't knock down your door and go "US ARMY!! As represented by Barry, with Gerald on left sweep and Mark at the flank!! Would you like to have Jorge, Joseph, or Ana push you to the floor with their gun muzzle?!! Jorge does't specialize in interrogation, but he IS available!!" No, they act as one and they get that shit done. Not that you want to be an army, cuz armies are toys for assholes, but you do want to be perceived as being cohesive and utterly capable as a unit. Sort out your internal workings by yourselves and let the client enjoy their confidence in your COMPANY.

Second: You're telling us the wrong stuff on your "about" page.

1) No one cares what sort of contrived acronym you've worked up as a company name, it sounds like mayonnaise and that's all anyone's ever going to associate it with. Ditch the explanation. If you're happy with the name, then don't qualify it.

2) Don't tout the company's artistic interests and then immediately call its people "technicians".

3) No amount of TELLING us what you're capable of will convince anyone to give you money for it. You have to SHOW us what you're capable of, and that's why you have a reel.

4) In essence, all you need an "about" page for is to give people a little bit of company history and some of its ideology. Again, don't tell anyone what you can do. If you have to TELL them anything, tell them why you do it the way you do. And then scrap the rest of it. This page should be simple, if it has to be there at all.

Third: Edit what you're showcasing. The reel is way too long. You're being waaaay too precious with the work it's presenting, and most of it is, again, not inspiring of confidence. You may find it difficult to deal with the politics of cutting out someone's work or cutting it in a way that they didn't intend, but the reel isn't about any individual in the company. It's about the company. Put that company's very best foot forward. The portfolio section shouldn't have anything in it that isn't absolutely fucking phenomenal. And to be frank, there isn't currently anything in the portfolio section that can stand on its own legs and really benefit you, so my recommend is to ditch that whole page and make the showreel the most important thing on your site. You can showcase full pieces down the line when the company has more completed projects to pick from.

Fourth: The layout is quite unrefined. This is an issue of typography, hierarchy, and organization. NOT about adding lines or bevels or shiny things. If no one in the organization has the design chops to pull it off well, then buy a template that's really stellar and don't fuck with the layout.

Fifth: As Aromakat mentioned, you're starting this company before any of you have much experience. That doesn't mean it won't work, but remember to study everything about the other companies you individually come in contact with. Look at how they're run and how they represent themselves. You'll figure out what works for you quicker that way.

what is a strategic alliance manager? and why do you have so many of them?

reel too long

cool idea with getting everyone together though.

just as mentioned above make it more like a studio. "Freelance collectives" are meh fro the most part.

Also I reccomend making up some projects and doing them together, and REALLY pushing yourself, so you have some collaborative show pieces. And document the process, it will get you more exposure, maybe submit it somewhere to be published. Or just post it on some forums.

re: title: yes, it's just mayo.. you might as well make a mayonnaise can and make it your logo now =)

Edited by vozzz

We took the advice and made a bunch of changes.

Trim. Cut. Chop. Massacre.

The joy of having a website is you can choose what you want to show potential clients. The rule is always quality over quantity -- one good demo reel can get you hired, but that same demo reel surrounded by a hundred bad designs will drown. Looking through your portfolio, you seem to be having a big problem trimming out old work. Only post your best work.

pjonathan.jpg

This is not your best work.

pdream.jpg

This is an image with Glowing Edges applied.

pron.jpg

This was... done in Word?

Pick your favourite 2- 10 pieces and post those. Nothing else. Again, quantity will only work against you.

The new Meet The Team page amuses me, but it's still really unclear what kind of "company" you are. What in the world is a six-personal "Strategic Alliance Team"? Or "Special Team"? What do these people do? And if you only have five people doing design and video, why do you have nine support staff? It doesn't make any sense. It looks like you all graduated from college together, decided to call yourselves a "company", but two thirds of you couldn't bring any real skill to the table. Drop the weird titles. Or, optionally, drop all the titles altogether. A page that lists names and nothing more still comes across as much more professional than calling half your company a "Strategic Alliance Team".

Having five different demo reels on your site doesn't help the we-graduated-from-college-together fake-company feeling.

All that said:

It's really great that after all this criticism, you're still coming back for critiques and suggestions. And you're listening to them. The site has come a long way from its text-exported-from-Photoshop origins, and I'm honestly impressed with the amount of progress you've made with it.

So, out of curiousity... what do the "Strategic Alliance Team" and "Special Team" do? Are they really more than "we don't really do anything but wanted to be part of the company too"?

Thanks,

Strategic Alliance Team - they all work part time to full time trying to generate our sales. Each trying different avenues to get sales. I pay them 10% of any contract they bring in for us so it's not a big deal if they don't do anything because i won't have to pay them. On the flip side it is a big deal if they don't do anything because then it's on me to find the projects to work on.

Special Teams - Jeanne is our writer, also part time. If we need a script or web content put together she is who we use. She also spell checks everything for us before we send it out. Jeanne also does our female voice overs.

- Ken does our male voice overs and also helps out with any contract stuff. Also part time (our lawyer / voice over guy)

Thanks,

Strategic Alliance Team - they all work part time to full time trying to generate our sales. Each trying different avenues to get sales. I pay them 10% of any contract they bring in for us so it's not a big deal if they don't do anything because i won't have to pay them. On the flip side it is a big deal if they don't do anything because then it's on me to find the projects to work on.

Special Teams - Jeanne is our writer, also part time. If we need a script or web content put together she is who we use. She also spell checks everything for us before we send it out. Jeanne also does our female voice overs.

- Ken does our male voice overs and also helps out with any contract stuff. Also part time (our lawyer / voice over guy)

The idea behind Special Teams is to have 1 per 5 designers if they work full time. We are still building a network and growing in experience and equipment. We are all motivated so i believe in 4 - 6 months from now, we will be a competitive studio in the Pittsburgh area. I'm bring on a musician soon to write all of our music. The Idea is to have everything in house and pay everyone per contract. (this eliminates over head, we can't fail or go bankrupt; worse comes to worse we all get a job at a bigger studio using this as our "experience" that everyone looks for :-) )