Sign in to follow this  
thekinginyellow

computer question

so, i need a new computer (who doesn't, right?). what are your thoughts on these specs from hp?

* Intel® Core i7-970 six-core [3.2GHz, 1.5MB L2 + 12MB shared L3 cache]

* 12GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [6 DIMMs]

* 3GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 440 [DVI, HDMI, VGA]

everything else is just hard drive, keyboard, etc. i'm trying to keep it under $2500 although $2k might be too much! i looked at dell and they offer the xeon processor. any thoughts on that?

i will be using this for after effects and c4d. i'm starting to do more hd renders and my athlon dual core ain't cutting the mustard like it used to.

I have an older i7-920 (4-core, 8 threads) that performed pretty well during it's time. I don't really have anything bad to say about it - your 12-thread system would do pretty well. The benefit of the xeons is that you can put two of them on one motherboard for a dual-proc machine (my current machine is a dual six-core xeon - 24 threads). You can't do this with the i7s.

If a dual-proc machine is out of your budget, just stick with the i7 IMO. Any benefit you'd get from the xeon would be pretty minimal.

EDIT: As always with PCs, if you're willing to do a bit of research and work up front, getting a custom built machine can you save you LOTS of money, which in turn means getting a better machine. For peace of mind, might be best to stick with pre-built though.

Edited by beau+++

look at cinebench scores and see how much points you get for your dollar. i5's much better bang for your buck. but each situation calls for its own solution.

I reckon nowdays spending anything more than a grand on a computer is overkill. Just upgrade every six months over all you'll be better off.

i have a 1055t with 8gb ram. it costs $600 ( the whole system) =P

its not overclocked, and it doesnt scream, but i can buy them as often as i change socks =))

so for another $600 in june/july i'll have an i7 970 equivilant =) and then in december for another 600 i'll have something twice as fast as a 970, and if i stayed in the same geographical location i'd have 3 systems working as a renderfarm.

It's all about not getting greedy. Like if germany just stopped at poland, most of europe would right now be known as germany, and if the japs didnt attack pearlharbour, most of asia would be Japan. but greed gets in the way, you want more and faster, without doing the numbers.

Ofcourse it is possible that you are just swimming in cash from this super lucrative profession, but then why not just buy the most expensive system you can get like a BOXX or a mac pro?

these are all viable options, however, i don't think my employer wants to buy me a new machine every six months and i don't think building one would be considered trustworthy. i've been running a dual core for over three years and it was built a few years before i started working there (it has also never been formatted so if you can imagine about 5 years of crap on a pc trying to pump out stuff is pretty crazy). it's pretty good for simple standard def stuff but now that we're getting more hd projects lately it's about time to upgrade and hop on the 64bit wagon. i'm leaning towards this i7 more since you guys chimed in.

i think however, for my next home machine i might build my own. i built one in college a looong time ago and thought it was a good value for what i got.

ok, thanks everyone!

i have a 1055t with 8gb ram. it costs $600 ( the whole system) =P

its not overclocked, and it doesnt scream, but i can buy them as often as i change socks =))

so for another $600 in june/july i'll have an i7 970 equivilant =) and then in december for another 600 i'll have something twice as fast as a 970, and if i stayed in the same geographical location i'd have 3 systems working as a renderfarm.

It's all about not getting greedy. Like if germany just stopped at poland, most of europe would right now be known as germany, and if the japs didnt attack pearlharbour, most of asia would be Japan. but greed gets in the way, you want more and faster, without doing the numbers.

Ofcourse it is possible that you are just swimming in cash from this super lucrative profession, but then why not just buy the most expensive system you can get like a BOXX or a mac pro?

would you be so kind as to describe your $600 build?

amd 1055t $190

8gb 2x4gb 1333mghz DDR3 $90

500gb hdd $40

mobo Asrock 880GMLE $75

Nvidia gtx460 $180

case with 550W psu: $60

total: $635

and thats in australia. If you go to new egg, probs will be cheaper.

note this thing isnt really upgradable, since the mobo only has 2 slots for ram.

but if you get rid of the video card it makes a REALLY cheap render node.

If i wasn't planning on moving to the states in may, i'd probably buy a mobo with a bit more ram slots, and maybe spend a bit more on the case, and possibly even an SSD.

But still reckon having 2 or 3 of these beats an i7 system. since you have a backup system if your primary fails for some reason. And you get more power overall, unless you're rendering stills, then its not as great.

oh yeah note, i'd probably go for the sandybridges if you can, coz i had to buy a new cooler for the AMD $35 (hyper 212+) because the stock one was VERY noisy. (when i was buying it there was also the whole chipset thing going on)