Sign in to follow this  
Kmksunfire

BDA

Anybody ever check out the bda conference in the past? any body heading to BDA this year? This will be my first year, and first time in new york. Any body have any suggestions?

Any cool art museums to see, shows to check out, also thinking about spending the weekend there on my own dime, craigslist the way to go for this?

Guest Sao_Bento

Anybody ever check out the bda conference in the past? any body heading to BDA this year? This will be my first year, and first time in new york. Any body have any suggestions?

Any cool art museums to see, shows to check out, also thinking about spending the weekend there on my own dime, craigslist the way to go for this?

I've been many times. Regretted the last two I went to, as there was nothing new to see (because of this Internet thing). I think 2003 was the last one I bothered with. Probably good for networking, but something like F5 would probably be better. I imagine most BDA attendees are the dinosaurs of the business at this point.

I've been many times. Regretted the last two I went to, as there was nothing new to see (because of this Internet thing). I think 2003 was the last one I bothered with. Probably good for networking, but something like F5 would probably be better. I imagine most BDA attendees are the dinosaurs of the business at this point.

hear hear.

winning a promax bda award is like winning the special olympics. i've seen this sorry excuse for a mantlepiece awarded to some of the shittiest designers. i think it's where wack artists congregate to have a confidence boosting orgy.

now the vimeo awards, that was some serious shit.

Don't know what's on there right now, but the Cooper Hewitt Museum of Design is one of my favorites, and the Guggenheim is only a couple blocks away. And the Met is only a few blocks from there. If you're down to troop out of Manhattan, P.S. 1 is pretty dope too.

Promax/BDA never seemed quite up to date with what was going on at the moment. They seemed at least a few years behind. I'd skip it.

Their choice of keynote speaker this year seems to back up your assessment. ;) Strangely enough, the last time I attended BDA/ Promax, the keynote speaker was Bill Clinton.

I went back in 2005, fresh out of school. I had a similar experience/feelings about the whole thing when I left, however a few weeks later someone called me from having put my resume/cards up on the job board and it ended up being my first pro job, so it was a worthwhile experience for me in the end. It was also my first time in NY, which was more exciting than the conference.

If your looking for full time work and are willing to move wherever the job is then it can be a good, I didn't get a whole lot out of any of the sessions/speakers though... and the official parties were just terribly awkward and funny.

Promax/BDA never seemed quite up to date with what was going on at the moment. They seemed at least a few years behind. I'd skip it.

Considering it's on my companies dime, And I've never been to New York, Definitely going to go. LOL, worth a ticket out to New York, worse case scenario.

I went a few years ago. I think if you're hoping to make some connections you might have some luck.

I didn't think the sessions were that great.

The parties can be awkward, just depends if you know anyone ;)

Seems more geared towards management types than creatives.

But if your company is springing for it, then I say go for it.