Sign in to follow this  
The Folklore

Walk Cycle

Hey guys.

Im brand spankin new to the forum, and so I thought I start with a free resource. Its a walk cycle, and there seems to be few resources on them online, or I just couldn't find any.

You can go over to my blog post here to view it, download it and see further details.

Thanks

From folkloredesign.com/

...It was made in CS5, and for whatever reason AE isnt backwards compatible, so I apologize to anyone who uses older versions.

Once again, another notch on the "wtf adobe?" tally. Illustrator is backwards compatible. Photoshop is backwards compatible. Practically everything in the entire suite of every CS version is backwards compatible.... except after effects.

/rant

Anyway, thanks for the resource, and welcome to the forum. I'll try out your rig and give you some feedback on it in a bit.

Once again, another notch on the "wtf adobe?" tally. Illustrator is backwards compatible. Photoshop is backwards compatible. Practically everything in the entire suite of every CS version is backwards compatible.... except after effects.

/rant

Anyway, thanks for the resource, and welcome to the forum. I'll try out your rig and give you some feedback on it in a bit.

Haha I know it! I really dont understand why AE isn't backwards compatible. This is 2011, get it together. Anyways thanks for checking it out!

photoshop is still pretty much backwards compatible without having to set versions when you save. illustrator will by default save as the latest version. after effects and premiere are both NOT backwards compatible. i had a client come in with a premiere project in cs3. i made a few edits and then he could no longer afford our bill so he went to someone else who started editing with cs4. he then wanted to come back to our place to edit but couldn't understand why we couldn't work on it anymore. we totally dodged that bullet cause the guy was very difficult to work with.

why am i rambling?

for a walk cycle (if i ever need one) i will reference muybridge. never really went in for those automated setups although the c4d13 walk cycle looks pretty sweet.

Had look - seems pretty nice, you've almost nailed it - the only major criticism I would have is the head stays perfectly still and moves along a horizontal line, this makes the back look rigid and uncomfortable - like a he's walking trying to keep books balanced on his head.

It should really follow an elongated sine wave style curve, check out the slide on the front page of my site (with the c4d maquette) to see what I mean. If your still unsure let me know ill knock an example up and post it here.

www.8bitfactory.co.uk