Sign in to follow this  
Duder

Taking it a bit too far?

hmm... this just brought on an interesting chain of thought.

the internet pretty much destroyed all the pre-existing barriers to entry in this industry, right? And these 99c projects are being used on air by novice designers. and clearly lots of companies are ok with it. So the value of this work plumets, because there is an abundance of people willing to do it.

but here comes the "BUT", now, only the actually talented people make it into big studios, and the jump between doing template stuff and studio work is becoming larger and larger, both skill/quality wise and paygrade wise. So the barrier on entry is actually significantly increasing.

there.. discuss.. :rolleyes:

hmm... this just brought on an interesting chain of thought.

the internet pretty much destroyed all the pre-existing barriers to entry in this industry, right? And these 99c projects are being used on air by novice designers. and clearly lots of companies are ok with it. So the value of this work plumets, because there is an abundance of people willing to do it.

but here comes the "BUT", now, only the actually talented people make it into big studios, and the jump between doing template stuff and studio work is becoming larger and larger, both skill/quality wise and paygrade wise. So the barrier on entry is actually significantly increasing.

there.. discuss.. :rolleyes:

I'm not real sure if this is building on your post or not but this is something I believe in : You should always be one step ahead because eventually everyone will catch up , you should always learn stuff that is useful but not many people now at the moment , you should also try new stuff that no one is using yet , eventually people will catch up with what you are doing but you would have arrived there first and even to studios and big companies you would be a pioneer ... I don't know if you see where I'm going with this but basically I think the difference between people who create and people who imitate is that creators are pioneers while copiers will always arrive late at the party , business wise pioneers will make the big money while copiers will make money just not as much as pioneers ...

we shouldn't be afraid as long as we are original and I know how hard it is to create an original piece so I guess this is our biggest battle , with being original ... creating original stuff and not being like the rest . people who have no problem being original have no problem in other people imitating their work because they know that by the time others learn how to do what those pioneers did , become really good at it and then have the chance to actually use it , it will be outdated or at least the pioneer who did it would have been two or three steps ahead of that copier and the rest of the pack ...

I work in a TV station and usually I get handed down inspirational video(s) when I'm asked to do an opening or a spot , I try and imitate some of the stuff I see in that video ... most of which I fail to do but the stuff I get right teach me a lot about how hard it is to recreate the project with all its smallest details and eventually when the project is done , it has the feeling of the original inspiration but different animation , camera movements , different sequence and different objects ... I've recently been told to work on something based on the AixSponza's BigFM Spot and I learned a lot about the project , and learned new stuff ... I don't consider my self an imitater , I'm just doing what I'm asked to do but I'm not really an original creator in that sense ... Once again I love Nick's tutorials (although I loved older ones more because they focused on texturing rather than technicalities which I think is his biggest strength [textures and lighting]) , they teach me stuff I can use in figuring out how things are done and eventually create original pieces

Let's keep in mind that the wannabes/novices with no passion are not willing to go the extra mile. They won't know what it is like to sit in front of a fish tank squirting ink into it to get that smoke effect when video-copilot filmed it for them and gave it a alpha channel to boot. When OZ did it better. They will never know what it might be like to use a dremel to carve into plastic or wood to create a simple word or company name because you wanted realistic vs fake. Create a cocktail from cleaning products to make the ink dissolve off your paper to create a effect similar to the dawn of the dead titles. I did this effect 4 years before that movie was released and my mentor showed me a guys college piece doing the same effect as well that dates a couple of years prior to the film. The point is people will always figure out a method similar to the effect you worked so hard to accomplish and in turn streamline it. Not only that, but even maybe do it better. That's the sh#tty part. Being beat to your great idea before you could even figure out how to accomplish it or find a way to make it relevant to your projects.

I still have a technique that I want to explore more on. One that I have not seen used at all in my observation of motion graphics since 2000. I have seen variations but not the way I do it. I hope to evolve that technique and make it my own. Like a ninja. I am sure someone will see it and say "I know what he did. Heck, I can do that right now in under 20 minutes." It took me a few months to figure it out and I am sure it took this person as well, but that person never thought it would be useful to his craft in the grand scheme of things.

I think the issues that are coming to light here... is being obsolete. Maybe I am wrong but these kids that like to show off their knowledge of editing by doing a cool intro for their call of duty clan video may be what's driving people up the wall. I have seen complex 3d intros with terrible design in more than 20+ video game clan highlight reels. Fairly Legal's intro took a page out of GSG's city kit. All in all, I am not worried nor afraid. It's a fad for the fan boys. Although, one thing that does bother me is I saw a video-copilot tutorial used for a SYFY show commercial. The real mind fuck that has brought up a significant issue is, "what came first the chicken or the egg?" Did VCP do it first or SYFY. I say this because SyFy has had some inspiring Idents in the past, but the foggy particle look resting on degraded concrete with volumetrics coming from above looks more like VCP. Hence I can see the unsettling significance of why tutorials are starting to mix with real world projects that have been client approved and aired.

More to the point. I could have easily done that myself and got paid a lot of money for something that I didn't waste my creative brain cells on because I grabbed the project file and used the text tool to do the rest. <----I don't want to be that guy but there are a lot of folks who wouldn't mind.

I got a horse to beat. Where is my stick?

Screw it. I will post this anyway. Hoping that beating this poor animal will make people realize that experimenting is valid in creating something new and hard to replicate.

Edited by C-FU