Sign in to follow this  
shiftypixel

MoGraph in Detroit?

Hey how's everyone doing? It's been a while since I last posted, but I've been lurking around for a few months now. In the shadows.

I'm curious if there are any mographers in Detroit who'd be interested in meeting up. I'd like to create a motion graphics community here in my town similar to those in other cities. Is there anyone out there?

Or maybe there's already a group that I'm missing? I've been looking around without turning anything up.

Hey Shifty,

Detroit is my home town, buddy. Let me know if I can help get the meet-up started. Usually all it takes is twitter, a facebook page and some beer to get these things going. I say just pick a day and let everyone know to show up. CCS has a ton of mographers, too.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Nick

Wow. How is Detroit as far as work and the economy??

I feel like I never hear any good news coming out of that place

Haha I think your impression probably isn't too far off. It's a little ugly around here, but I'm trying to make the best of it. My wife has a job that she loves and my house is all but un-sellable anyway.

Thanks for the offer, Nick! I'm still working out the logistics as far as place/time go, but I'm also curious about meeting agenda. Should there be a presentation of some kind at these things? I don't want it to be too structured, but I also think people should get something out of attending.

I suppose I already have enough people to do a small meet up but they're all pretty close friends of mine. A "meet up" with them would probably head more in a "party" direction pretty quickly without really focusing much on mograph... I'd like to sign on some people I don't really know well to expand the pool. CCS is a great idea. Those kids who are way better and more ambitious than I am would be good to have there. :D Not too sure about feeding them beer, though.

Hey Shifty, I'm up in Midland Mi, work for one of the TV stations. I've been wondering if MI would ever have an creative network that we could participate in. There are a few big companies down your way that you might draw from. Speedshape, With A Twist Studios, I know there are a few more but I'd have to look them up. You could ask some of these guys to come. They are not pure mograph but they are the big players there in MI.

I think that the kids at CCS would be all about having a meetup, a way for them to network with real industry people. I think that they have tried to do this with SEMAFX, but I don't think its very active. Let me know if anything shakes out.

Hey Shifty, I'm up in Midland Mi, work for one of the TV stations. I've been wondering if MI would ever have an creative network that we could participate in. There are a few big companies down your way that you might draw from. Speedshape, With A Twist Studios, I know there are a few more but I'd have to look them up. You could ask some of these guys to come. They are not pure mograph but they are the big players there in MI.

I think that the kids at CCS would be all about having a meetup, a way for them to network with real industry people. I think that they have tried to do this with SEMAFX, but I don't think its very active. Let me know if anything shakes out.

Yeah Andy I went to a few SEMAFX events years ago, but the group doesn't seem to be very active these days. Most of those guys were really heavy into VFX anyway, which isn't really what I was looking for. I also wonder if AIGA Detroit is worth looking into as a group to team up with.

Speedshape is great recommendation. A friend of a friend just started there recently, and he was on my list of people to contact about this.

Midland, eh? Maybe we could have a meeting sometime in what's left of Flint to meet you halfway if you were interested in attending. There are actually some fun things to do in that town, despite its reputation.