Sign in to follow this  
Rick-T

CAD to C4D

Hey,

Does anyone know a successful workflow to get a decent mesh into cinema from an .IGS file?

My client has given me a CAD model of their logo via an internal brand manager on their end who can't remember who created it. I'm not a cinema 4d expert by any means so would rather not have to (teach myself to) re-model it if I don't have to, it's quite an organic shape, like a smooth pebble with flowing, bevelled channels carved around its surface...

I used a trial version of MOI to convert the .igs to .obj which worked fine but my problem is that the resulting mesh (once in C4d) has hundreds of tiny, tiny holes all over it.

I'm continuing to animate with the 'holey' mesh and am only delivering animatics at this point but pretty soon It'll have to be looking polished.

Any tips or insight into a solution would be really helpful.

Cheers!

You probably will have to adjust the tesselation per patch. Haven't looked at MoI or Rhino in a while, but at least Rhino will allow to select patches while the export dialog is open and adjust settings individually... Otherwise you can always use a high subdivision value, do an optimize on the resulting mesh and then toy around with Untriangulate, Collapse and Melt to clean up the mess.

Mylenium