Sign in to follow this  
KushDesign

Adobe acquires Maxon

the irony is that if I saw a headline that said Maxon had bought After Effects I might think it's real

Adobe only wants mass appeal/high sales apps and both AE and C4D do not fit that model

Adobe only wants mass appeal/high sales apps and both AE and C4D do not fit that model

Not really. As I said many moons ago in another thread: Such deals are about technology and hardening your market position by acquiring IP before someone else does. Adobe has bought up ass tons of smaller companies you haven't heard of before as do Google, Microsoft, Oracle and all the others with the real point being that these small companies may either have a specific single product that fits into the strategy of the big players and solves a specific problem, many times already building on such a larger core application as a plug-in or extension or in the other case, the smaller company may posses specific IP (patents) that could threaten the bigger companies either directly by competing or indirectly by preventing implementing such features without licensing. Happens all the time, but not in this case, I'm afraid. Simply buying C4D solves nothing for Adobe and properly merging it into their portfolio would take several product cycles/ years. To have additional value, the technology would need to be exploitable as a whole basis in all their products and not just be another program. It would e.g. completely have to replace Photoshop 3D to provide that user experience in a familiar environment or substitute these workflows in an external app. Still, even then you would expect things like proper support for all file formats (How does loading native AI files without saving them as AI88 sound?) or browsing assets in Bridge. This may all seem rather trivial, but needs to be done and at the end of the day the numbers may not add up. C4D is also healthy enough to make this a potentially very expensive buy, which again limits its attraction - assuming Nemetschek were even willing to sell it.

Mylenium

A title saying that a small company has released an userfriendly,

speedy and bugfree package of vector and bitmap editing apps

on both platforms and therefore a new competitor

on the market for Adobe would've made my day,

even if it's the april fools day…

That's just not funny. I nearly lost a year off my life when I saw that post title, the equivalent of 150 packets of smokes.

Adobe have made April Twats of us all for years.