Sign in to follow this  
andy1010

Day hire in LA

Next week I have an interview in LA for one of the big networks. I can't say to much about the position at this point. It is a union position but classified as a day hire. I'm a little nervous because my current position is a salaried staff position. I talked to the union rep out there and he said that everyone in the department is classified as day hires. They say that it is typical out there. Is this true? The nice thing is that they will pay healthcare and 401k. I'm just scared that I'm going to get out there and then after a year they drop me when I've helped them setup all the network branding. Anyone have a bad experience as a day hire?

Next week I have an interview in LA for one of the big networks. I can't say to much about the position at this point. It is a union position but classified as a day hire. I'm a little nervous because my current position is a salaried staff position. I talked to the union rep out there and he said that everyone in the department is classified as day hires. They say that it is typical out there. Is this true? The nice thing is that they will pay healthcare and 401k. I'm just scared that I'm going to get out there and then after a year they drop me when I've helped them setup all the network branding. Anyone have a bad experience as a day hire?

I have yet to work a union job, but that classification as a "day hire" sounds shady. That sounds like an at will / freelance position. I would read the fine print on any contracts / work agreements they want you to sign, very carefully; especially if you already have a good staff job. If they want to woo you away from that, they should be offering you more money and job security. I don't know about the money part, but "day hire" doesn't sound like job security. Don't take anyone's word for it, get everything you want / need in writing.

I have yet to work a union job, but that classification as a "day hire" sounds shady. That sounds like an at will / freelance position. I would read the fine print on any contracts / work agreements they want you to sign, very carefully; especially if you already have a good staff job. If they want to woo you away from that, they should be offering you more money and job security. I don't know about the money part, but "day hire" doesn't sound like job security. Don't take anyone's word for it, get everything you want / need in writing.

I agree. I need to be careful. The union rep said to ask for a Personal Service Agreement. He said that I can negotiate any terms I want as far as paid time off or salary. There are minimums in place for what I can make but no maximums. I think that I need them to give me a PSA of at least two years for me to make the move. I don't want to go out there and be an at will employee. What is the going day rate for a good 3D / AE guy at a major studio? Working for ABC, Fox or NBC? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

There's nothing shady there. It is indeed how it works. Remember, the networks would prefer to work without unions. If you have a long term booking you can safely bet on it being a staff job that the networks can't call a staff job per union rules.

Don't worry, but be as prepared for being laid off as you would anywhere else.

Edited by AromaKat