Sign in to follow this  
sevenb

Almost 4 months doing mograph now, here's what I have.

Nice start there! The open is still a bit long, and the vignette on the "colorful" bit is way too heavy. Loved the bike frame stuff and thought the video was pretty well shot too. It looks like there's enough design skill in that reel to get started in LA - but what do I know, I live in DC!

Nice reel, the S intro is great. Ever think about re-ordering it, though? When it turns into blocks and collapses, that seems like a great ending to it.

One shot I might lose is the two bikers looking into the landscape with the lens flare. Your other shots are all about design and animation. That sticks out as a pretty comp, but not much else (?)

Good luck in LA!

I don't have any print experience, but I do have a background doing several short mountain bike films. I've also messed with photoshop a lot over the past couple years. I had to sell my camera last November and picked up motion design in return. haha.

Thanks for the kind words!

And thank you for the pointers! Can anyone comment on what more I need in the reel? I feel like I have the eye and skill set to make a better one, but my 13" macbook is limiting me quite a bit.

Well, I'm no expert, but the more I look at it what I see isn't necessarily print sensibility, but nice, fairly simple compositions and an eye for color and some other things like type choice, textures, and vignettes, things that most newbs don't understand. I can see where your photoshop experience comes into this. You probably have done plenty of tutorials from decent tutorial sites with actual design sense, like Digital Arts Online.

Anyway, didn't mean to deconstruct your education, just surprising to see such a good first attempt. Good luck!

Edited by jayfaker

Well, I'm no expert, but the more I look at it what I see isn't necessarily print sensibility, but nice, fairly simple compositions and an eye for color and some other things like type choice, textures, and vignettes, things that most newbs don't understand. I can see where your photoshop experience comes into this. You probably have done plenty of tutorials from decent tutorial sites with actual design sense, like Digital Arts Online.

Anyway, didn't mean to deconstruct your education, just surprising to see such a good first attempt. Good luck!

Nope, I've just torn apart about every reel on the internet frame-by-frame and kept a large folder of images/videos of design I aspire to for inspiration.

Well, thanks for instantaneously ruining my 3 years of experience..HAH!

Seriously though... that's a great starting reel. The only thing I really disliked was the rather old-fashioned spot with the colour bars rotating.

4 moths?

I hate you with all my three years of still sucking.

Now, you have a good eye for composition. I just think they tend to be too centered (specially text based ones), and the vignette makes that even stronger, maybe that's something to work on. That is a normal tendency (it's easier to balance the composition, but tends to be less interesting), specially with people that never worked with fields that have more variable "canvas" aspects, try reading a bit more about design basics or composition. I don't know how much have you read/studied about design, but if you haven't read anything, a good book to start with is "Thinking with type" by Ellen Lupton (i'm guessing the title, i only know the title in portuguese, but search for the author) and also "Primer of Visual Literacy" by Donis A. Dondis. You'll probably see those two mentioned everywhere.

And as the others said, the intro is a bit long, ending it with the falling cubes could be better, but it would not fit the music as well. The S's "clothes" disappear out of nowhere, maybe letting it fall until the end of the frame would be better. Another thing, on that "baby i'm howling for you" thing, make it all caps on that phrase, don't put too much space between lower-case, they don't "stand alone" as well as upper.

But seriously, nice start. If people (like me) seem picky about details it's because, in general, it all must look good. Keep doing stuff and you'll keep progressing this fast. Congrats!

Well, thanks for instantaneously ruining my 3 years of experience..HAH!

Seriously though... that's a great starting reel. The only thing I really disliked was the rather old-fashioned spot with the colour bars rotating.

Well thanks. :) That's by far my least favorite piece too. It'll be replaced no doubt.

4 moths?

I hate you with all my three years of still sucking.

Now, you have a good eye for composition. I just think they tend to be too centered (specially text based ones), and the vignette makes that even stronger, maybe that's something to work on. That is a normal tendency (it's easier to balance the composition, but tends to be less interesting), specially with people that never worked with fields that have more variable "canvas" aspects, try reading a bit more about design basics or composition. I don't know how much have you read/studied about design, but if you haven't read anything, a good book to start with is "Thinking with type" by Ellen Lupton (i'm guessing the title, i only know the title in portuguese, but search for the author) and also "Primer of Visual Literacy" by Donis A. Dondis. You'll probably see those two mentioned everywhere.

And as the others said, the intro is a bit long, ending it with the falling cubes could be better, but it would not fit the music as well. The S's "clothes" disappear out of nowhere, maybe letting it fall until the end of the frame would be better. Another thing, on that "baby i'm howling for you" thing, make it all caps on that phrase, don't put too much space between lower-case, they don't "stand alone" as well as upper.

But seriously, nice start. If people (like me) seem picky about details it's because, in general, it all must look good. Keep doing stuff and you'll keep progressing this fast. Congrats!

bvaz, thanks for your advice! I haven't had any training on design. I desperately need some sort of formal training; I also think it could help with my patterns of centered comps. I'm going to order thinking with type book right now.

Thanks so far!

This is great, you've got a great eye for design, color and animation... I'd finish the intro with the blocks too. And your first piece [the crow] is probably the weakest link in your reel, but the rest is nothing but awesome after that. I love the cube, simple and effective, as well as the spinning record and the grade on the bike section.